5.0 out of 5 stars One Happy Doctor Who follower, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Doctor Who - The Enemy of the World [DVD] (DVD)
I am over the moon and far away right now..... I drove home on Friday morning from Swindon to Nottingham on the first cold and windy night after summers end my mind set on another start to a long winter about to begin! Listening to BBC Radio 2 it's about 06:00 and i'm feeling sorry for myself 'cause I'm coming down with some sort of virus, the news bellows out and I turn the radio down a little! Then I hear 'Doctor Who' 'missing episodes' '11 recovered' '9 missing for 45 years'. Ears pricked up along with the sound!
Listen, I'm 50 years old.... I work on the Railway, mostly outside on construction at night! Nothing really surprises me anymore!
OH MY WORD I was so excited I had to pull into the services. My mind began to race I had to get off the M5 fast and take in what I was hearing! I pulled myself together with a large cup of sweet tea, a bagel ( with Philadelphia ) and some porridge oats! At this point I was still taking it in! 'The Web of Fear' FOUND!!!! 'The Enemy of the World' FOUND!!!!! One discovery is something but two? Who is this 'Philip Morris' ? who does he think he is turning my life on it's head with new found hope? 97 to go kid!!!!
I got home at 08:50 and by 09:00 I was watching 'The Enemy of the World' then, The Web of Fear! Guy's I am in 7th heaven! The cool thing is; I work in tunnels on the railway and it was amazing watching 'Web of Fear' taking place in the London Underground! The atmosphere and the claustrophobic setting was perfect and far better than I imagined it was going to be! The acting in both stories was above average and 'Web' brilliant in Black and White.
I woke up on Saturday morning after no sleep the previous day 'cause of night working feeling pretty good I am now putting these stories on my wish list and as soon as they are released in November, Bang!!! They will be red hot on my DVD player too!
No sign of the virus I seemed to be sickening up for, no doubt cured by a certain Doctor perhaps?
Those 97 are out there! They are out there!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Oct 2013 20:46:47 BDT
I loved this review - I've been following the rumours for months so knew exactly what was coming and I was *still* thrilled to have it confirmed. But to read this really puts across the sense of excitement and sheer joy even us oldies (I'm 50 as well) feel on hearing the news. I watched Web of Fear yesterday with my daughter (23), and we both loved it!

Thanks for putting my feelings on the news exactly into words :)

Posted on 13 Oct 2013 14:19:39 BDT
Spidernick says:
I also love the enthusiasm of this review and would have shared it had not the size of the find been hyped up nonsensically in the days preceding the announcement. I was actually a little disappointed with only nine being discovered (although there are still rumours of more!) which is mad seeing as we've had nothing for years before this. I blame the media!

Enjoy - I'll be ordering the DVD soon myself.

Nick (not quite 48!)

Posted on 13 Oct 2013 19:12:38 BDT
I loved the enthusiasm of this review as well! If I could have chosen one lost story to be recovered it would have been 'Web of Fear' so getting that back, bar one episode, is an absolute dream. Getting 'The Enemy of the World' back too is an amazing bonus. Just watching the titles of 'Web' and seeing 'Episode 2' on the screen after so many years when only episode 1 was thought to exist was a brilliant moment. If I ever meet the guy who found these episodes then, well, the drinks are definitely all on me.

Posted on 14 Oct 2013 05:35:45 BDT
D. Lench says:

Posted on 15 Oct 2013 21:31:19 BDT
ian says:
I think this is the best review I've read on here. I wasn't sure I was going to buy this dvd but i'm going to now (I have all the Pertwee and most of the Baker stories). And guess what, I'm 50! I'll watch it with my 3 children. Thanks for the review...

Posted on 17 Oct 2013 07:40:32 BDT
Mr. D. Kidd says:
This review sums up this historic find and the pleasure it has brought to many of us old(er) ones. Thanks for sharing Nigel.

Posted on 18 Oct 2013 20:24:25 BDT
sean cutter says:
Wonderful review and I'm risking a nervous breakdown by waiting for the DVD before seeing Web of Fear for the first time since I was a kid.

Posted on 20 Oct 2013 08:13:21 BDT
D. Chapple says:
Great review! I love this story. So smart and so well conceived. Great performance by Troughton.

Posted on 21 Oct 2013 22:18:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2013 22:21:27 BDT
Slyboots says:
Thanks for sharing. I`m pleasantly surprised that no-one has whinged that the review is not obsessed with whatever extras might be found on the DVD. It`s nice to know that there are other relatively normal people of my age just as excited as me! Ps the web of fear is the first story I can sort of remember from all those years ago (I`m 51).

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2013 02:45:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Oct 2013 02:49:53 BDT
Timelord-007 says:
Nigel you review is exellent like you im a hardcore Doctor Who fan & like you I'm not easily shocked but when i heard of what had been recovered i punched the air in victory as we get two more Troughton storys back in the BBC archives & we as fanboys have been treated to a great 50th Anniversary.
Here's to the next 50 years.

P.s be careful Nigel in those underground tunnels you just never know if something is down there?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (117 customer reviews)

£19.99 £8.30