5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Changed My Life, 2 April 2007
This review is from: Meat Is Murder (Audio CD)
Before I heard this album, I didnt really feel that music was worth the hassle. I didn't feel that there was any particular meaning to songs, other than keeping you entertained, and any particular in depth analysis would only result in a pretentious babble not really making any particular sense.

But, when I heard the first few seconds of "The Headmaster Ritual" I was hooked. Meat Is Murder, is for me, THE perfect album. Every song is a gem, and although some are greater than others, I wouldnt purposely skip a song to get to another, because all hold a particular place in my heart. No other album does that for me, not even "The Queen Is Dead" which most people would say is the best Smiths album, but for me is a close second.

For me, however, my two favourite songs of all time are here on this album. Starting with "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" which is just so haunting and beautiful, with Morrisey's wonderful melodic voice citing "Kick Them When They Fall Down" or the increasingly powerful and intense vocal climax, coupled with Marr's simply unbeatable rhythm. Everytime I hear the song I smile, not out of some saddistic pleasure I get from hearing the obviously sad and solemn lyrics but out of knowing that music really cant get much better.

Secondly, what I feel is their most under-rated song in "Well I Wonder". Again, the two collaberators have come up with a song that not only is moving, but deeply thought provoking and well worth the listen. I really do not know how this song has not been more readily welcomed by music fans, or indeed Smith's fans, as I value it one of their best, if not right at the top.

These two songs alone made me love music. I buy music as often as I can in an attempt to get a new experience equal to the one this album brought to me 6 months ago when I first heard it. The Smiths remain my favourite band of all time, and will probably remain so till the day I die. My only reason for writing this is to inspire other people to buy this album, as it truley is a masterpiece. And if you dont like it, oh well, at least you took a chance, and that's all that matters.

Finally, I'd like to apologise for my English. Although I'd like to think that my spelling is good, it really isn't sometimes, and really should be better (being 18 and sitting an A Level in English at the end of the May). I can only hope that my enthusiasm has shined through. Also, I apologise for people who like to read user comments on the whole album song list, searching to see what other people think of their most treasured song. But needless to say, if I did that I would only sound repetitive giving each song 5/5 and writing the same comments on each. I picked those two songs out purely because those are the ones I value above the others, but the album wouldnt be the same if any one of those songs were taken out.

[Add comment]