3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 10 Jan 2010
This review is from: Sony Bravia KDL32W5500U 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview, 100Hz Motionflow (Electronics)
I'm not a tecchy when it comes to appraising the relative merits of televisions. I am not a gamer, geek or gadget freak. I just want a good quality, reliable TV with a decent warranty and a good picture.

I will admit that I have been seduced by all the oohaa(sp) about HDTV and decided to take the plunge and replace my not HD ready CRT television.

And so last week I took delivery of a Sony Bravia KDL32W5500U. It was delivered 16 hours after I ordered it! Well done Amazon and your couriers. Putting it together and setting it up was a doddle (although I detest `mind of their own' scart cables which are a devil to route neatly). Then came the big moment of switch on.

I sat down in my usual chair in the lounge and watched. I have to say I was underwhelmed. The signal is received through a Sky+ box. It was working perfectly but I was unconvinced by the clarity and quality of the picture. Our old (6 years)TV is also a Sony (Trinitron CRT 26" widescreen). I decided to set this up on a Freeview box and run it side by side. Let there be no doubt here. The quality of the picture on the old TV was far superior to that on the new one. Crisper, clearer, more distinctive colours. Whilst the Bravia picture was ok, that was all it was. Just ok.

I tried swapping them round and ran the Bravia through Freeview. I also tried adjusting picture settings. Same result.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bravia. It is just that the picture is not as good as the Trinitron. That is very disappointing.

Two other points worthy of note.

1. Depending on where I am sat in the room, the LCD screen reflects light from lamps in the room. Whenever a dark image is on the screen that reflection is very noticeable and further diminishes the clarity of the picture. I daresay it will eventually drive me round the twist so I will need to reposition the lamps - and that will not please `er indoors. That was never a problem with the Trinitron located in the same position.

2. During daylight hours, the piano black polished screen surround reflects light from the window and is a significant distraction from what is being shown on the screen. Irritating. My advice, look for a TV with a matt finish.

So overall, having been anticipating a viewing revolution I am afraid I have to say I am not convinced by these new fangled tellys. Emperor's new clothes spring to mind.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Jan 2010 18:27:41 GMT
The Badger says:
Have you been through ALL the picture adjustments .I was similarly underwhelmed by the standard picture but once I'd adjusted the sharpness and colour/
/contrast /colour temperature options I was more than pleased .
Took me the best part of a week to get it set up how I liked it .(I too had an old Sony CRT with an excellent picture .)

Posted on 2 Apr 2010 17:04:20 BDT
Paul Lynch says:
I have to agree to an extent with the original poster. Watching standard deff TV on some of these new HDTV's can be a let down straight out of the box, it can take a long time and much needed patience to get it the way you like. I bought this TV especially for HD content like Blu Ray (PS3) and HD-DVD (Xbox add-on) and of course for gaming for my son and I. These are the sort of things this set was made for and it does an amazing job. More HD TV channels will appear in the near future but probably at a premium.

I am really very happy with this set and would recommend it to anyone

Paul Lynch

Posted on 27 May 2010 11:08:48 BDT
Invierno says:
If, as you state in your review, you are using Scart cables then all you are seeing is standard definition TV. So you are simply making the old, rather poor SD picture bigger. You need to be using HDMI cables to get HD and give it either an HD signal or upscale from a (Sony) freeview HDD recorder (say) or a pure HD signal from, sya Sky. The old adage of "garbage in, garbage out" applies here!

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jul 2010 12:36:29 BDT
Claret Pete says:
You are quite right Invierno. My review was written before we went HD. So perhaps I should have made clear that my review was exclusively based on SD reception.

We now have a HD box up and running and the HD picture and sound are excellent. Or at least I assume it is as I don't have another set to compare.

The SD picture, however, continues to disappoint despite extensive fine tuning and of course not all tv channels are broadcast in HD.

Posted on 31 Jul 2010 17:40:27 BDT
ALVARO says:
I agree,in a couple of years,Sony will invent something new.And we will all have to bung em out!

Posted on 21 Feb 2012 12:06:53 GMT
Buddy says:
Im not a Technically minded either but you can buy T.V.s for ten thousand pound, so you get what you pay for.

Posted on 17 Jan 2013 17:59:03 GMT
Alex gowen says:
it is true crt tvs always did give the best picture anyway then plasma then lcd people are somtimes misled .hd tvs are good for what they are hd tvs
or hd ready. if standard definition was all there was still available nothing now could touch it .
‹ Previous 1 Next ›