Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars What is...?, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Resistance (Paperback)
Resistance is set in an alternative universe where the Germans are winning World War II and are invading Britain.
Set in a Welsh valley between Hay on Wye and Hereford where a small community of farmers have disappeared in the middle of the night leaving behind the women.
We are led to believe they have gone off to join the 'Resistance' and we are left to explore the unfolding lives of the women left to work on the farms, in a harsh winter, with a German patrol living nearby.
My feelings towards this German patrol were tested throughout the novel. Initially I began by feeling unsure and a little scared then as the story progressed I found my opinion changing and I became quite fond of them all, especially Albrecht.
My changing feelings were particularly highlighted when in one particular scene a character mistakes the German patrol for the valley farmers and you see the German patrol through those eyes, as though they were the farmers and see no difference between them.
I found I cared for all the characters in the valley and enjoyed the authors descriptions of the area and working farm life. The audio book in particular was beautifully narrated and although I read some chapters too I wasn't overly keen on the format/look of the print. I loved the front cover and thought it captured the story well.
The cover is black and white with a lone woman, could be our main character, standing atop a black mountain. Comforting herself from the elements she seems to be searching for someone, her body language echos both loss and hope.
However I didn't like how the story jumped viewpoints and found it quite disorientating when listening to the audiobook.
Although the was is the backdrop to the novel I didn't feel it was prominent and it was more about working through hardship, community spirit and looking beyond what at first may appear to be a threat which could also be a lifeline.
I liked the valley characters. The women for their hard work and determination against the Germans, the war and an altered way of life. I loved how the women didn't give up when the men left, they took on more work and tried their hardest to keep on going. I also liked the German patrol as although you start believing they are Nazi monsters it goes to show just because you put a uniform on someone and a gun in their hand it doesn't make them a soldier. And that their true means of survival in the war wasn't to fight. So you had the women fighting and the men trying hard to abstain, they were a perfect mirror image of each other in a mirrored universe.
Overall I enjoyed the book and would recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction but especially those living or have an interest in the Welsh valleys.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]