2.0 out of 5 stars Fiddling whilst burning?, 21 Dec. 2012
This review is from: NERO 12 (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used Nero 7 for some years now I decided to give this a try and see what improvements, if any, had been made. This is the "basic" software, by that it is without the "Platinum" upgrade features which you are made aware of almost as soon as you start! I looked at the upgrade and my first impression was that it was not worth the asking price and would not be needed, at least I could not foresee it.

First Impressions.
Out of the box, the BIG BOX, came one DVD Case. There looks to be room in the box for a Manual but none was present.
Before installing the new version the old one had to be uninstalled and the PC cleaned up of extraneous files. This done in 15 minutes I then set about installing Nero 12. This operation took a long time, well over 20 minutes, but then required a Re-Boot and various upgrades or "Update Patch" files to be downloaded and installed, with more Re-Boots. Overall this took me over an hour!

After finally getting all the patches and updates I set about seeing why it had taken so long to install. The program "weighs in" at a hefty 1.18 Gigabytes (1.18 GB (1,270,853,632 bytes)of Hard Drive space! The properties says it has 5,433 files over 654 folders. Wow! Even Adobe Elements does not use that much space, and as for the memory that Nero hogs, that is, according to Task Manager, over " Gb.

In Use.
My first attempts to burn a simple CD were very frustrated. The program's interface was less simple than the old one, far less obvious too, I thought. For a few minutes I thought I had the wrong aspect of the multi-functional program, so looked around at the other options, only to feel "adrift" and clueless. There are no less than 5 (Five) Icons on my Desktop; Nero 12, Nero Burning, Nero Video 12, Nero Recode 12 and Nero Kwik Media - which I am still trying to work out what this little monstrosity does! Eventually I was left with the conclusion that it must be either Nero 12 or Nero Burning that I wanted, but Nero 12 just seems to come up with useless advertising blurb plus some extra links to the program icons you already have cluttering up you desktop. So, Nero Burning it was... again. Eventually I managed to burn a simple CD, but not before having to remove and reinsert the CD twice before it recognised it. Zzzzzzz.

Later I looked at other aspects, including the Movie editor. This is "sort of OK" if you don't already have an editor on your PC. I do; Cyberlink Power Director, which is awesome! This left me with the conclusion that Nero's editor would only be of use to those who did not want a full-blown producer or the more professional features.

Nero Recode is useful, if you need to recode some footage, but I could not get it to do the first job I wanted, to convert a downloaded Youtube file into a simple video fit for Android or PC; so had to search for a program which could and found (after several hours!) 'MakeMKV' which is not only a brilliant little program but totally Free! ("Ooops Nero!") However, Nero Recode does have its uses.

As I alluded to earlier, I am still in some doubt as to what Kwik media does as when you click on the icon, a small group of four images appears in the middle of your desktop.. then nothing for quite a few moments. The first time this happened I used Task Manager to turn the stupid thing off, as it seemed pointless. If there was something to follow then it was just too slow; my PC is a Dual Core with fast graphics and 3 Gb Ram, so not that slow! Using it later I discovered that if you leave it for a while (Zzzzz) it will eventually come up with another screen that appears to offer you options of "Market - Photos & Videos - Projects - Generic USB Storage" then it searches your PC for files.... and searches..... and anyway, after making another cup of tea, it seems that all this does is to duplicate what you already have on your PC: e.g. if you have Photoshop it will have a "Folio" of all your pictures. If you have a Video Editor it will keep your current projects, and so on.So, what is the point of this "Kwik Media" that is anything but quick? I don't know and give up with it!

Come on Nero, "wakey wakey!" You had a good little product with Nero 7 Platinum, which I may well go back to when I can find the time to uninstall all this "Bloatware" and reinstall the neat little Nero 7 Platinum package and all it's updates again.
Thank you for this free trial it has convinced me not to buy Nero 12 and probably 13, etcetera.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jan 2013 22:26:03 GMT
Hi Mike,

I saw your comment about the trouble you're having with Nero 12. I would like to comment on the points outlined in your review.

As a first step I would like to direct your attention to our homepage where we offer an overview of what is new in Nero 12 as well as a comparison page to compare the feature set of Nero 12 Patinum, Nero 12 and Nero 11.
Watch what's new in Nero 12:
Compare feature set of Nero 12 Platinum, Nero 12 and Nero 11:

Your next concern is with Nero Kwik Media which takes some time to open. The group of pictures which is displayed during its start is indicating that Nero Kwik Media is starting. As you say a few moments later the software itself is displayed. For the very first start Nero Kwik Media will scan your system for multimedia files. This is essential for getting the best benefit out of Nero KwikMedia.
Find more information here: http://www.nero.com/eng/products/nero-kwik-media/

Best regards,
Chris
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.4 out of 5 stars (73 customer reviews)

Out of stock