3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray picture stuttering (WITH UPDATE), 5 Dec 2011
This review is from: Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Triple Play (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy) [2011] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
This is not about the film itself, which is great, but the quality of the Blu-Ray disc. On viewing the movie, there are many glitches throughout the film where the picture stutters or judders, although some are so quick you could easily miss it (as my wife did to begin with). It has nothing to do with my player, as all other BD's work fine. On closer examination, in slow-motion fast forward it reveals that these problems are caused by the film jumping ahead 2 frames and then back 1!! They always occur in the same places. It's such a shame because everything looks fantastic otherwise, and the Maximum Movie Mode is excellent. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I'm sending it back for a replacement, and I just hope that this is not a transfer issue that applies to a whole batch of them! It's totally unacceptable for what should be a high quality Blu-Ray disc.

UPDATE: Well, Amazon were great and I received my replacement within 4 days. I tried out the Blu-ray and......it was still stuttering in the same places! I couldn't believe it. THEN I thought I should check whether my blu-ray player needed a firmware update...and it did. I was still sceptical, but I updated the firmware via an upgrade disc downloaded from the net. Amazingly, the 'stutters' or glitches now appear to have disappeared! I certainly don't understand the 'mechanics' behind this, but it seems as though bizarre things can happen to BD's due to player firmware. Modern technology eh!!!! Anyhow, problem solved. I've yet to watch the whole film again though!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Dec 2011 16:58:07 GMT
Quinn says:
I had a few issues like this with my copy where it was a little juddery in places but as this was the first blu ray I had purchased I wasn't sure if it was my player. It's nice to know it wasn't just me. I think I might send mine back as well.

Posted on 11 Dec 2011 15:37:22 GMT
I had the same problem; I'm going to try the firmware update before I send mine back, thanks for sharing this very useful information. If I could give five stars to this review I would.

Posted on 29 Dec 2011 14:44:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Dec 2011 06:48:19 GMT
Gazza says:
It's widespread! My copy also judders all over the place; the only BD I own that does so. I was going to send my copy back to Amazon too, but having seen this thread; I think I'll try the firmware update route first. Thanks for the tip. Now, how do I go about getting a firmware update CD.....
STOP PRESS
I downloaded the updated firmware from the manufacturer's website (Sony in my case); burnt it onto a DVD and followed the instructions provided. It took less than 5 minutes, then the acid test of playing Deathly Hallows Part 2 ......... Seamless! Exactly as it should be; no more juddering. Phew! Glad I found this thread, otherwise I'd have sent the BD back for a replacement; which wouldn't have worked; and I'd have been a very unhappy bunny! :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›