2.0 out of 5 stars Learn by your mistakes, 21 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake (Audio CD)
I remember this as a top album from my University days in the late sixties, so when I was browsing Amazon I thought I'd put it on my wish list. I must admit that although I had heard the album in the dim and distant past - I couldn't remember it. Now I wish I had, because it will definitely NOT be going to the top of my iPod play list. I received it as a Christmas present.
Most of the songs rate as "OK but not outstanding" but the original side 2 of the album has off-putting verbal track links by Stanley Unwin. I now remember that usually only side 1 was played to avoid these embarrassing verbal links.
A further issue with this particular recording is the "remastering". The equalisation seems to be totally wrong - to make it acceptable I had to turn DOWN the treble by 4 points and turn UP the bass. Maybe when it was transferred to CD the engineers were listening with equalisation applied for the original recording but forgot to apply it to the remastering - unless the intention was to make it sound like it was being played on a sixties Dansette record player!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Jun 2008 13:45:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Jun 2008 13:46:15 BDT
You obvious didn't take the right stuff when you were at university. The Stanley Unwin gobble de gook was the icing on a perfect cake, never to be repeated by (Rod Stewart &) The Faces. The whole point of the album is humour, something you obviously didn't grasp then, or now after your higher education. Listen to "Renee (the dockers delight)", the top ten single "Lazy Afternoon" and "Happy Days In Toytown" all tongue in cheek, partying or singing down the pub songs. A definite addition to my MP3 player, for me it sums up the wonderfully happy music of 1968 and up to 1970. Innocent fun, with good tunes. However I do agree the remastering good be better.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2009 14:41:27 BDT
Mikie says:
Thank you Mr Cotton, right on!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2010 17:07:39 BDT
Maybe there is a reason why the 'Stanley Unwin gobble de gook' was never repeated. In any case, I quite liked Stanley Unwin - in the right context, which (in my opinion) is not here where it does not stand repetition.

Maybe my scoring is a bit harse, but the remastering is really appalling.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2010 23:04:55 BDT
70s says:
They originally wanted Spike Milligan, how much better would that have been? MUCH

Posted on 23 Jan 2012 21:18:12 GMT
meeky says:
The Stanley Unwin part was done for TV and is on the Small Faces DVD. I thought that our Stan was a star, but then you are a top reviewer, and what do I know ?

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 19:48:49 GMT
ONGF is still a fantastic record - one of my all-time fave recordings in any genre, & all the better for the madcap Professor's Artycrafty wordplay.

It's a period piece - how many times do people try to judge vintage records like this with the benefit of 40+ years their own life experience and the flood of great and often comparativley crap music to evaluate it by?

Stevie & co were great London kids, full of life & fun and in it all for a lark - but were also truly talented people. Just listen to the rest of their collective & individual legacies.

I bought the original mono album on its release, found a new stereo vinyl copy a few years later, and now also have the 2001 Immediate/Sanctuary CD reissue in mini-replica circular sleeve.

All are treasured, and I might now be soft & nostalgic enough to buy the 2012 2-CD deluxe reissue!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 20:54:30 GMT
This reads like a another review rather than a comment on mine - but thank you for your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 20:58:52 GMT
You're right - but I was so much older then when I bought the original LP - and the internet was not even a figment of Pete Townshend's imagination then!

Just defending one of the pleasures of my teenage life, Ivon!

Posted on 8 Mar 2012 10:06:57 GMT
Hope this doesnt sound like im getting on the defence. im just letting you know that with the new deluxe versions it is the first ever time that Ogdens has been remstered from the original source master tapes (only just found)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2012 12:00:34 BDT
70s says:
I agree. How can you possibly say what the sound is like on this cd when it hasnt even been released yet?!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›