1.0 out of 5 stars Idea good, but poor service and support, 28 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Squeezebox Wireless Network Music Player - All Black (Electronics)
I am surprised that the squeezebox has received such good reviews, if one looks at it in a more holistic context. I have found the service and support for the item to be appalling with a complete lack of knowledge about the Squeezbox from those who tried to sell it to me, despite the fact that I took the precaution of looking at the Amazon reviews.

Because I was concerned that my network connections might have an effect on the operation of the Squeezebox I was careful to check as to whether the system would be compatible. I was assured that it would be and that I should have no fears. When I got back home I found that it would not connect to the broadband system that I use and nothing in the troubleshooting guide gave any indication as to why not, but then I find that the troubleshooting guides never seem to have the answers that one is looking for and the same with the web site 'frequently' asked questions. I have come to the conclusion that they are only 'frequently' asked because answers are never provided. Despite being promised a response within 24 hours, to date I have received nothing, and I suspect that when and if I do get a response it will be totally irrelevant.

Having said all that, the only reason why I felt that I could award one star was because the concept was good - but then what is the good of a good concept if you cannot put it into practice?

Some of these firms should face up to their responsibilities a bit more and provide a much more user friendly service system. I am now saddled with a useless item that I cannot get my money back for and which doesn't work!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Jan 2008 17:31:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 31 Jan 2008 17:32:41 GMT
E. Harrow says:
All you have to do is install the slimserver software, point it at your mp3s via the web interface, ensure that the pc/mac that it is installed on is on your network, switch on the squeezebox, connect it to your wireless network and it will find the runnning slimserver software. Thats it. Broadband has nothing to do with how the squeezbox/slimserver work other than for the RSS newsticker screen saver etc.

Posted on 1 Feb 2008 16:22:46 GMT
PS Woods says:
I had problems with my Netgear Router which was running a proprietary extended range setting by default and my Squeezebox could not see the Slimserver (now called Squeezecenter). When I switched this off it connected straight away and worked a treat. This may not be the same problem as with your set-up but I wouldn't necessarily blame the Squeezebox for not being able to find the music on your PC. As long as you have Squeezecenter running on a PC/Mac on you network and it still doesn't work then I would investigate the settings on your Router, also if you have Firewall installed on the PC you should check this as well. I assure you once you get it working you won't look back.

Posted on 5 Feb 2008 21:35:07 GMT
rperkin says:
How surprised I was to see this review with a 'poor' rating. Without question the Squeezebox is *the* most impressive gadget I have ever bought. I only wish I had bought one sooner!

'Broadband' has nothing to do with it - but you do need a local area network to connect to the Squeezebox. This can be as simple as a short length of Ethernet cable between a PC running SlimServer and the Squeezebox, or a wired network, or (more usually, since this is where it comes into its own) a wireless network.

As others have implied, it's probably either a simple configuration problem, or possibly a misunderstanding about what the Squeezebox does. It a device for connecting between a local area network and an audio system, and you *must* have a copy of SlimServer (aka SqueezeCenter) running on the network.

Err... that's it. The underlying technology is quite complex, but the device is (almost) plug and play. Once you have SlimServer running, connect and power up the Squeezebox and it should 'just work'. I give it 5 stars :)

Posted on 14 Feb 2008 10:12:03 GMT
ND1234 says:
I can totally agree with the above comments. The Squeezebox is the simplest bit of kit I've ever installed, and probably the most impressive in what it does. Pretty much plug & play. I hooked mine up to a Qnap NAS and it's just superb.

I am however tempted by the Squeezebox Duet... I may investigate.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Mar 2008 21:14:47 GMT
Worldlife says:
[quote]or possibly a misunderstanding about what the Squeezebox does. It a device for connecting between a local area network and an audio system, and you *must* have a copy of SlimServer (aka SqueezeCenter) running on the network.[/quote]

Confused now as I thought I was looking at a stand alone device with incorporated speakers that would select and playback internet radio stations via broadband router!!!!

Thanks for the warning!!!!

Posted on 18 Mar 2008 11:26:13 GMT
Actually the support community is very good, I suggest you go to www.slimdevices.com, go to the forums and post a request for help in the relevant forum. There is a whole community of squeezebox owners out there and they are bound to be able to help you with any problem you might have.

Posted on 28 Mar 2008 23:34:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2008 23:36:29 GMT
balbs says:
This is a quite unfair comment and I think misunderstands the nature of the beast.. as another post here points out visiting www.slimdevices.com will point to a wealth of information about set-up for both the expert and the technical novice. And what is meant by I can't get my money back...? If the item was bought from Amazon (why else would you post here?) then it's really their responsibility and they are always good about these things... anyway look at all the other reviews for this item and if you are real hi fi fanatic look at the transporter device from the same stable... simply brilliant.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (60 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £125.00