4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, worthwhile purchase, 4 Jan. 2011
This review is from: D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure (Electronics)
Well after investigating into many different NAS devices or solutions, I decided to go for the Dlink, mainly due to price, but also after hearing some good reviews of their previous models.
Firstly, Delivery was fine - I opted for 2 Samsung F3 1TB disk drives along with the Dlink chassis, all of which were well packaged and easily opened.

Opening the boxes I was pleasantly suprised - a nice small unit (not much bigger than the 2 disks side-by-side that looked the part, although it's more "plasticy" than it looks in the pictures.

Simple installation - pop the two drives in through the top of the unit, plug in and power up. Supplied CD detects the device on your network, and walks you through the setup. Only issues I came across were 1) The DynDNS wouldn't detect my account, although it instantly worked after the setup completed, and I can't seem to be able to rename the volume, it defaults to "volume_1". Once all powered up, the device is virtually silent, although after some use the fans become louder, but still nothing other than a small hum, probably amplified as it's sat on a wooden shelf in my front room.

I set it up in RAID 1 for fault tolerance, with 1TB disks I hope 1TB is enough storage for me. That said, this device does support up to 4TB, although I'm not sure if that 4TB in RAID1 or JBOD etc.

The web interface is easy to use, and took me seconds to figure my way around it (I never read manuals) and it's all set up and accessible by FTP and HTTP over the internet using my DynDNS account.

My PS3 instantly found the media server once I enabled it, as did my iTunes install on my laptop, again after enabling the feature.

Speedwise, all seems ok for me as a home user, I've not had it long so time will tell I suppose.
I am disappointed that I cannot set it to auto switch-on at a set time - it's got the auto switch-off feature, but I'd like it accessible from same 4pm-11pm when I'm home from work, and not leave it running all night. Maybe in a later firmware release...?

Dlinks support website doesn't seem to work on IE8 - I registered to check for new firmware, but never managed to login. Not sure on this one yet.

Finally, it comes packaged with TotalRecoveryPro, which allows for automated system backups, or directories etc. Should prove useful to ensure my laptop is backed up regularly. This seems to allow a full backup or incremental too, so not going to hog all of that valuable disk space :)

So overall, I'm pretty happy. At ~£150 for the whole setup, it was cheaper than a mini-server, but better quality than some of the other rubbish I've seen out there. And with the RAID ability, a nice-to-have protection for all those pictures, documents and music files :)

Pro's
Nice sleek, attractive unit
Easy to set up
Near silent in operation
Good price

Cons
No ability to change partition/volume name (default is volume_1)
No auto startup (it does have an auto shutdown though)

[Add comment]