5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Just Brilliant 5*****, 11 April 2014
This review is from: A State Of Trance 2014 (Audio CD)
1. Adam Szabo & Willem de Roo – Medusa (Intro Radio Edit) (03:15)

Like Medusa’s gaze had been set upon me, I felt myself immediately put into a state of trance, the hairs on my neck raising, goosebumps embossing across my skin, a most beautiful intro to get you into that feeling you love. Taking no time at all, things got hype and I couldn’t stop myself from stamping on the ground with every thumping kick. The stabs were perfect, a loop I could never get tired of, with accompanying synths that blended it all into one amazing track.

2. Tommy Johnson feat. Nanje Nowack – Burn The Sun (Radio Edit) (03:32)

Like the warm feeling of the sun on my face, I felt so into this song, wanting more and as it slowed I imagined a sun rising over a beautiful ocean, Nanje leads into it with somewhat familiar but equally entrancing vocals, surprising because she’s an unfamiliar name to me. The piano leads are beautiful, leading up with snares and peaking with a shot into the burning gas ball of stomach twisting beauty, I almost wished it hadn’t ended so soon. One last round of vocals, still as hauntingly beautiful, I felt myself ascending even further into the sky…..

3. Alex M.O.R.P.H. feat. Natalie Gioia – My Heaven (Radio Edit) (03:42)

…..And into Heaven. Alex M.O.R.P.H. is a name I know all too well, so I had high expectations for this choon and immediately I felt myself among the clouds, thanks in part to Natalie’s immersing vocals. Another slow moment, guiding me higher towards the golden gates of transient nirvana, before launching me back towards earth, I felt myself freefalling towards the ocean, white clouds passing behind me, I closed my eyes and plunged into an ocean of complete relaxation.

4. Dart Rayne & Yura Moonlight – Athena (Radio Edit) (03:48)

Gated vocals lead into a synth that pulls me out of my state of relaxation and puts me on a mountainous highway, in a super car, going way too fast for my own good. The dry, desert landscape around me, rocks skidding off as I whip around corners, building up to an impromptu race with some mysterious car, all blacked out with a matte black finish. I saw my reflection in it’s tinted windows……

5. Andrew Bayer – Once Lydian (Original Mix Edit) (03:11)

Everything slows, a bridge is up ahead, with room for only one, I pull ahead, they pull ahead, we’re bumper to bumper, neck and neck, everything is a blur, synths are pushing us faster and harder, there’s no way I’m gonna let them win and then….

6. Aly & Fila feat. Jaren – End Of The Road (Hazem Beltagui Radio Edit) (04:14)

….they pull ahead, I feel myself launch off of the cliff, breaking through the guardrail I’m slowly falling through the air, I put my arms over my face, shielding myself from the impending impact, Jaren’s vocals telling me it’s not the end of the road, I open my eyes and see I’m a a full stop in front of the bridge, the blacked out car next to me, the passenger’s window rolls down and there’s this beautiful girl, the girl of my dreams, I feel like I know her, Jaren’s vocals reflecting my thoughts. The bridge was my relationship with her, only one of us would get out of it alive, but here we are, stopped together, she gets out of her car and gets into mine……we cross the bridge together, leaving that all Black vessel behind us. The bridge gives underneath us, and we plunge to the valley below, I hold her hand in mine, and embrace her as we fall.

7. Bogdan Vix & Renee Stahl – Forever (Radio Edit) (03:43)

I wake up next to her, looking at her as she sleeps, I try to remember who she is, why I feel so strongly for her, why I can’t shake this feeling that we’ve been together before, “you’re the best thing that I found. Forever….forever……..forever…..I will never love again”. The synths are strong with this one, bringing me to her I lift her up and we dance, Renee’s vocals are hauntingly beautiful, the whole arrangement is just beautiful and is perfect for playing to somebody you want to show the upmost affection for.

8. Fabio XB & Liuck feat. Christina Novelli – Back To You (Wach Radio Edit) (03:29)

A slow piano intro, here we are dancing on a dancefloor, underwater, just her and I. Who she is becomes clear, the sun rays shooting down on her face “so we dive, never coming up for air, surviving, never giving into fear….no matter what I do, this current pulls me back to you” I feel her pull away from me, I try to follow but I’m being pushed, far away I see her fading into the darkness, I reach and I see her desperately reaching for me, but I can’t reach her and I come down…..the current pulled her away and now I sit, with my head in my hands, wondering what went wrong and why she’s gone…..

9. Andrew Rayel feat. Alexandra Badoi – Goodbye (Radio Edit) (03:010)

I look up through the waves and into the sky, the sun has set and the moon is shining bright on the surface, I break through and walk up on shore, there’s my car waiting. I get in and slam my hands on the steering wheel, screaming but it’s silent. I look over in the passenger’s seat and there she is, smiling at me, I reach my hand out (“stop her before she says goodbye”) and it goes right through her, “goodbye” she mouths before bursting into dust. I try to scream again, but it’s silent. She’s gone.

10. MaRLo feat. Jano – Haunted (Radio Edit) (04:07)

I drive away towards the city in the distance, trying to put it between us, rain begins to fall. There she is again, in the seat next to me but I don’t look in her direction. The Devil wants me to fall, fall for it every time, but she says, “take one breath, it’s not the end”. I look at her with tearful eyes, “One more day, it’s not the end”. I reach for her again, and there’s a light that bursts in front of me, I look and drive into that light.

11. Soarsweep – Between Empires (Radio Edit) (03:34)

A nice crunchy bassline leads up to a beautiful piano section, almost like you’re flying over a giant grass field, the kind you see in those medieval movies, the ones they always have those giant battles on, with white mountains in the distance and a super bright sun shining all over everything, with a castle and walled city. Synths build up to a beautiful melody and great mid kicks.

12. Craig Connelly – Decibels (Original Mix Edit) (04:23)

Low flying synths here, leading up to a violin-like pad, before dropping to a nice melodic section, powerful Tranceic vibes building to a great crunchy section with powerful kicks. Things really start to pick up with this song, going from a more mellow tone to an uplifting bit of choonage.

13. Gareth Emery feat. Bo Bruce – U (Bryan Kearney Radio Edit) (04:12)

Bo’s vocals are being lent beautifully and blend perfectly with this uplifting intro, before dropping into pronounced kicks and a gorgeous synth loop, more vocals overlayed and blended with the tempo, showing off a higher vocal range and then dropping down into a swishy swashy, a hair raising piano section accompanied by Bo’s angelic pipes. Uplifting stabs follow, blending with thumping kicks and building up to a final kick-driven, orgasmic vocal sexssion of Tranceic bliss.

14. Protoculture – Music Is More Than Mathematics (Radio Edit) (03:010)

The transition into this was just a little offputting. It just seemed so sudden. I’ve not heard much from Protoculture but it’s got a very powerful intro, with robotic vocal queues, dropping into a darkish kinda melody, piano and entering stabs lead up to a robotic repeating title queue, looping synths and a rumbling bassline, building up with a beautiful lead synth, continuing for the duration of the choon.

15. Max Graham vs Maarten De Jong – Lekker (Radio Edit) (03:49)

Nice snares, leading up to a sudden stop and drop into thundering kicks and a powerful lead bassline. It has a very to-the-books feel to it and I’m not really feeling it very much until a little change of pace with ringing synths and these beautiful Trance-heavy stabs brings me back, building up to a mix of bassline-thundering-kicky goodness.

16. Markus Schulz – Destino (04:39)

I haven’t heard much from Markus Schulz for a while, it’s nice to hear something from him again. Unfortunately it’s not so much what I was expecting. The intro sounds very messy before leading into a swishy swashy, a low droning bass accompanies a nice melody of stabs but again it all sounds very….almost TOO Trancey. I don’t feel like there’s too much exploration here. It’s certainly just a very comfortable choon. Good, but not too daring and it doesn’t make me go “WOW”.

17. RAM & Susana – RAMelia (Tribute To Amelia) (Radio Edit) (03:25)

And here we are with RAM. He starts by RAMping it up with some nice stabs, before kicking into gear and coming in with this absolutely beautiful, low flying essence-of-Trance synth, slowing down into this angelic piano section, and Susana’s incredible vocals. I couldn’t help but get a little wet around the eyes from this beautiful combination, something that is very different from what RAM usually brings out. The lyrics are beautiful, an orchestral section comes in and just brings this to an entire other level, and Susana is incredible throughout. Gorgeous stabs accompany a powerful synth, equally powerful kicks and an overall vibe of complete and utter nirvana. Closing out this choon is another set of beautiful synths, a chiming piano in the background and the incredible Susana. It’s truly an experience hearing this, especially my first time. I fell in love with Trance again and again, every second with this song!

[Add comment]