4.0 out of 5 stars Surprised me, 13 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Storm Born (Dark Swan 1) (Paperback)
I was recommended Storm Born by Amazon, because my 'purchased' list is full of paranormal/fantasy novels, and pretty much ever cover has a semi-naked or tightly-clad female on the front...so yup, I was interested in Storm Born.

I've never read anything by Richelle Mead before, so I looked up her previous works and she has a series about a succubus - a demon who very much likes sex as far as I can work out, which didn't appeal to me as much.
The blurb for Storm Born made it sound like it was yet another story about a Heroine magical powers that she uses for good, but oh wait, she's pretty hot too and everything in sight wants to get into her pants (because of some prophecy about her first born child)...uh and she has a hot sexy love interest.
Now, I like fantasy romances as much as the next girl, but I also like there to be a plot and some originality surrounding the Heroine and her single/many conquests, so this put me off and I didn't look at Storm Born again until a few weeks later when I was desperate for something to read. Still not 100%, I looked up Mead's website, read a few excepts, liked what I was reading and took a risk...

Needless to say, It IS a book about a Heroine with powers she uses to save the world/okay maybe just a few people, but there is something...different about this novel. I grew very absorbed very quickly, and I found it pretty original in an already swamped market with very similar books. There's a plot, and a good one too, interesting and engaging second characters, two love interests for the Heroine, some nice power-wielding and some exciting encounters with the bad guys. All in all, a very enjoyable read.

Richelle Mead is a talented writer who makes her world believable and yet still otherwordly and dangerous at times, and personally I can't wait for the sequal. I'm even tempted to read her series about sex-loving demons :) (the first of which is SUCCUBUS BLUES I do believe, if anyone is interested)

I definitely recommend this book and I think most fantasy/action/romance lovers will enjoy it. My only words of warning is that there are some very hot sex scenes, so anyone with more delicate sensibilities might not enjoy Storm Born as much as I did.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Dec 2008 08:27:52 GMT
Just so you know, Elizabeth, the "Succubus" series has VERY little sex. And I'm not comparing to Laurell Hamilton who's rather extreme in her later books. About the same amount as Kim Harrisons books.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2009 23:49:11 GMT
Elizabeth says:
I know, I have just read all three in the series and enjoyed them very, very much!!! I don't think the initial description of any of her books do them justice to be fair, as I have now picked up both storm born and the succubus through boredom and expecting them to be quite different then how they were! It's not that I'm against sex in books (far from it), its just I prefer them to have a real plot and for the characters involved to have personalities...
I read the succubus series before reading any of the blurbs, and when I read the blurbs afterwards they just didn't capture the book...or so I thought. I know it's the audience they're aimed for, but they make them sound like frivolous paranormal chick lits, but I find she draws her characters extremely well and I was actually quite emotional whenever the painful parts of Georgina's past came up!

I might go and write a review recommending them now actually...

Posted on 11 Jan 2016 16:00:17 GMT
ScottishGirl says:
This was hilarious. And informative.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›