3.0 out of 5 stars Very bulky & not impressed with 'one size fits all' cuff, 4 Jun 2008
I have mixed views about the M10-IT.

On the positive front, the machine is well made, has the facility to store 84 readings each for 2 users, and has PC connectivity - all excellent innovative features.

There are quite a few negatives, however. As a result of the inflexible 'one size fits all' comfort cuff, the whole package is twice as large as a regular bp monitor pack, so definitely not a model you would choose for portability or traveling.

I am also not impressed with the 'one-size fits all' cuff, which is very bulky and not easy to achieve a snug fit with if you have a slim arm, as mine is. In fact, I was initially consistently achieving very low systolic readings (up to 20mmHg below my usual readings), and eventually realised it was due to the cuff not fitting properly rather than to the machine itself being inaccurate. The main criticism is therefore relating to invention of these 'comfort' cuffs. If only Omron would offer the option of a variety of cuff sizes, but in fact this inflexible 'comfort' cuff seems to be the only size available to go with this model.

One final word of warning is that Omron seems to make a different cuff connection for each new model. So do not assume a cuff you happen to have for an old model would fit in this or any other new Omron models! I happen to have another Omron bp monitor which is only 1 year old, and this model's cuff does not fit the M10, or vice versa.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Aug 2008 18:27:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2008 18:28:46 BDT
stumper says:
I think the review is reasonably fair and I would emphasise the complaint re the cuff is particularly accurate. My upper arm is too short to fit the cuff with the 1/2" clearance fron the elbow joint.
Not related to the report is the fact that I have writtento OMRON U.K. to two seperate addresses re the unsuitability of the cuff for my use and have had no response despite asking it to confirm receipt of my last letter preferably by email.

The first letter was written almost a month ago and the latter some 10 days ago.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2009 12:37:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Aug 2009 12:37:34 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2011 16:23:09 GMT
Last edited by the author on 10 Mar 2012 20:58:45 GMT
Very worrying about the non-existent customer service. Threaten to write to head office in Japan.
I didn't realize I had such short upper arms until I got this. After using this for two weeks I found when I went to the doc's that my readings were much higher than those made by the nurse with the non-digital kit. I then started taking this 'leave clearance at elbow' business more seriously so tried to shove the damn thing further up into my armpit. Now my readings are much lower but I have no idea if this is simply because the cuff isn't gripping hard enough -- yet I had thought if this were the case then an error message would appear.
One year later, 10 March 2012. Used daily, finally today it's huffing and puffing but not inflating. Never felt the cuff to be snug/comfortable, always have to hold it squeezed tight. Which is bust, the base or the pipe&cuff? Presumably the latter; cost is 25. Whole kit new is 35 (10 cheaper than last year!), so get that and I've got a spare base...until I read this review that says that can't be assumed! I've just ordered; I could cancel, but hey.
Will post this as a review proper so I can give it 3 stars and bring that rating down. Hmm, now how long was that guarantee...
Thanks, stumper.

Posted on 1 Aug 2011 19:03:34 BDT
Bill Miller says:
Had some doubts having read a few adverse comments about the cuff but I find it great, easy to use and giving repeatable results exactly as expected.

As a curiosity I asked several small adults to use it and did so without any issue. Unless you are exceptionally small I would not be concerned.

Very plese with it, does everything I need and more.

Posted on 15 Feb 2013 15:30:35 GMT
T. Huu says:
The exact same thing happened to me and my friend (we are skinny). All the readings were wrong as it seem to be around 20mmHg lower. There was no way to fix it as it came with a specific cuff size that was too large (it says normal to large).

Posted on 9 Oct 2013 19:01:22 BDT
Woodhillian says:
I have had this unit for 2 yrs and use it to monitor my partner and I. We're both 5' 11" and not skinny. The cuff is a problem, as some people find when trying to fit it on the upoper arm by themselves. I worked in the medical profession and measured BPs during my working life, so I'm not a newcomer to this. I trusted the readings that didn't flash E or EE. However, our GP grew suspicious of our unit's readings and wanted to check it against her's which is tested and maintained by the maker's technicians. Our unit measures 10 BELOW her machine. I just took it on faith that an advanced expensive bit of kit like this Omron, would be accurate - silly me! I can only suppose it is the cuff that is the problem.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›