3.0 out of 5 stars Cut!, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: PowerDirector 12 Ultra (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used Power Director 10 for the past two years I thought that this would be a decent upgrade. PD10 is one of the fastest and most useful video editing suites available and was "best in class" at the time of release.

Having upgraded my PC to a Quad Core with 8Gb Ram and extra graphics, etcetera, etcetera, I thought that Power Director 12, which is built around faster Quad Core technology, would give me super fast video editing. So I painstakingly uninstalled my PD10, did a clean-up, then went through the 20-30 minute process of installing PD12 Ultra.

Reboot; as I always do after install or uninstall. Run PD 12, opened it, imported a clip and... crash! On restart some Library images were missing; these come with program, so should not be missing. Same thing again, crash after crash after crash. I even tried a reinstall and same thing happened. So, sad to say I eventually uninstalled the monstrosity and re-installed PD10 Ultra, which works fine, and quick on my 4 core i5- PC.

UPDATE:
From * to ***: After updating my PD10 program I've been having troubles! So, spent a whole day faffing about just to do one 5 minute mpeg4 video. Reinstalled Power Director 12, after a Rep wrote to say there was an upgrade "patch" available; there are several patches actually! Anyway, eventually got the thing working and there are some improvements over version 10: e.g. improved handling times, import, colour management and especially "White Balance" and "Colour" tweaking. Some new and more modern Titles appear along with improvements to sound input and editing. So, overall, better. Only still giving 3 stars as we, the consumers, should never have to spend so much time faffing about with patches, upgrades and crashes in the first place!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Feb 2014 06:13:31 GMT
Hello Mike,
We thank you for your review and are concerned to learn that you were having a lot of trouble getting PowerDirector 12 running.

Since you enjoy using PowerDirector 10, we hope you will let us help you get version 12 working on your computer. It is actually faster than 10 (once you get it optimized) and has many more features that I am sure you will find worthwhile.

It sounds like the disc you got may have had the original release, which has since been updated to fix some issues, including what you described. So after installing, please ensure you download and install the free patch update to the latest version (build 2420) at the link below.

If you still experience any issues after this, ensure all your drives are up to day and please contact our free email support at the below link. Then respond to this message with your support ticket number and we will escalate your case.

Regards,
David

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 01:14:22 GMT
Mike says:
Hi David
Yes, I was concerned too; and don't like proverbially buying cars with 3.5 wheels!
PD10 on my new system is far better than it was on my old Dual core with 3Gb RAM and Win XP; about one day to render a 40 minute video! I did a short video for Fb on PD10 and was surprised to find that it actually rendered all the time, but final rendering (needed due to titles, etcetera) took only a few minutes.

Regarding the Patches, I looked and saw no menu in the software that allowed one to search for updates or patches. Most nowadays "auto-update" and so had to assume it would too as there was no link.

If you can assure me of a fully working, hassle free version I would be glad to re-review it. However, I hasten to add that I noticed the general libraries are very old and tired looking, all the "magic sound" appears to be for purchase - no free sounds - and all add-ons seem to be overpriced too. I never published this in my report but used to use Pinnacle years ago which was streets ahead on sounds and titles, etcetera, so I am thinking about a change now seeing how limited and over-expensive PD has become.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Apr 2014 18:28:04 BDT
Mike says:
Hi David
you will be pleased to hear that I have updated (patched) my original review.
Mike

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 02:51:09 BDT
Hello Mike,

Great to hear that you got it working, and thanks for updating your review. Please let us know if you need any more help or have any more questions.

David
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (39 customer reviews)

£79.99 £54.99