5.0 out of 5 stars If only there were more stars to give... (plus 2 Updates), 3 April 2012
This review is from: AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - 3.60GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo (Personal Computers)
I finally got my new Bulldozer CPU; I am blown away, and this is why:

With my previous CPU, the Phenom II x4 965, I had considerable heating issues in-which at stock with four cores running, I would reach over 70c, which of course isn't good, so I resorted to tweaking the Vcore, disabling cores, and lowering the frequency, which is also not good. I'm aware that Phenom IIs apparently get rather hot, and I can second this, and some!

This amazing piece of technology runs at an overclocked 4.4GHz (stock Vcore) at an insane temperature of (whilst the fans* on max) 6c idle and 37c on max-load! I have of course disabled Cool 'n Quiet, along with AMD's new Turbo feature, which is to ensure the OC is stable and safe for the CPU.

I was blown away when I noticed the amazing temperatures, and currently, while typing this, with all my fans (including the CPU fan) are at an absolute bare minimum, my CPU is at 10c. I have no fancy water cooling device as you'd expect from these temperatures, but instead I have a mix of Arctic Silver 5 paste well applied and an impressive (yet useless for the Phenom II) Arctic Freezer 13.

I can't enough recommend this AM3+ socket CPU. This CPU will last me for many more years to come and shan't be a bottleneck for a long, long time.

The details of my OC are as follows:

Turbo OFF.
FSB at 200
VCore STOCK (1.32v roughly, I think it's at)
Multiplier at 22x

* My fans are:

Front = 120mm Silence red LED
Side: Antec TriCool red LED 120mm
Rear: Arctic 80mm
Bottom: Syth 100mm

I usually run them at barely audible speeds, and can even get away with turning them all off, and this includes the CPU fan, while getting what I believe could max at 65c, however it only seemed to reach 58c when I did a quick test, earlier

I cannot believe that at 95w this CPU is able to perform so flawlessly. I have read various reviews and comments about this processor, claiming it's a "Faildozer" and that the Phenom II x4 965 is much better; I can comfortable and amusingly tell you this is an absolute load of... stuff.

Well done, AMD!

Side note:

For me, my high-end games and Windows 7 32-bit OS all perform far better than the Phenom II did. I also am aware that this CPU could likely reach 4.7GHz, however I'm very satisfied with what it's currently at.

UPDATE:

I now run at 4.5GHz and 1.40 Vcore with no stability issues as of yet; I've been running the rig like this for a good few days. Currently my CPU is 11c and the heatsink is 27c. I no longer have control of my CPU fan, so it gets ever so slightly hotter, but still maxes at around 50-55c depending on room temperature of course, and this is without the front, rear, and now two Antec 120mm side panel fans. All in all, this CPU is still, IMO, the best AMD CPU you could buy for gaming.

UPDATE:

Yet another update, and still absolutely loving this CPU. Some things I should point out for the techie nuts amongst us:

I overclocked to 4.5GHz on the last update, I notice.. well, I recall doing that, but unforunately it was NOT stable, but it was almost stable, however almost stable still isn't stable, and therefore I gave up on that clock, but I now run at 4.2GHz and have done for.. God, IDK how long.. a great many months! [: Yes, this time it is actually stable. lol I think I understand why it wasn't stable before; I think it was a mixture of lacking in the voltage department, and the memory speed was set too high, putting strain on the CPU and failing the OC. I have 4.2GHz now, but my 1600MHz is taken down to something liek 1566MHz, which is still pretty damn decent, so I ain't complaining.

I still recommend this CPU? Hellz yes, the price is incredible for what you get. I can nail games like Skyrim, and.. well.. can't be bothered to list a load of games, but the point is, that it performs well. :P

Here's quoted from a post of mine elsewhere online:

"Tested with Prime95, and without my two 120mm Antec side fans (only rear and CPU running as normal) the temp' seems to sit at 64.8c and with the side fans going all out, the temp dropped to 51.3c and wouldn't budge - that's a massive total of 13.5c that those two fans took off the CPU!

I'm using a 95w CPU, the 4100 running @4.2GHz x4. Keep in mind this is a decent overclock from 3.6GHz to 4.2GHz. Motherboard is the ASUS 990FX, which may have a lot to do with the stable and awesome overclock.

Moral of the story? Don't underestimate the power of side panel fans and a chunky aftermarket cooler!"

I'm thinking I could probably easily add a lil voltage and stuff to boost the output of this CPU even more, courtesy of this motherboard (it's ace with OCing), but honestly, there's just absolutely no need. I know there's a lot better out there, but it's probably a moot point given what this already does with all the modern games, and at such a damn good price, I just can't ignore that amazing price - :o now £74 with free delivery! I would love to see what I could get out of the FX4170, as I have a feeling I could easily get that to 5GHz. [: I will perhaps upgrade at some point, but it's not exactly needed anytime soon. lol

So yeah.. IDK what else to say.

Buy it. :P It rawks, and it'll be kind to your purse/wallet.

[Add comment]