4.0 out of 5 stars Emotional Roller Coaster, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Beautiful Disaster (Kindle Edition)
I first came across Beautiful Disaster after a recommendation from a friend. I was a page into The Golden Lily when this book was recommended to me. I don't know what made me stopped reading The Golden Lily and go straight onto this but boy was I glad I did! Was it the blurb? I honestly don't know but here it is

"The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn't drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand.

Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs--and wants--to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby's resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis' apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match."

So I guess what really stood out for me on the blurb which made me read was "If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis' apartment for the same amount of time"

I thought heck yeah this is so my type of book that I go for when I'm not reading paranormal stuff so I set about reading it! Within the first 4/5 pages I was already hooked, it's not very often that I'm hooked into a book within the first few pages and it normally takes a few chapters but with Beautiful Disaster that's just what you get! The book is told in the view of Abby Abernathy aka `Pigeon' at first Travis' use of the nickname for Abby is kind of annoying but by the end of the book it had really grown on me and threw out the later chapters it made me smile at its stupidness.

The thing that I enjoyed most about this book was the way it connected with me on an emotional level as a reader. It was a serious roller coaster ride one moment I was high and giddy and the next was brooding and sulky which you don't really come across a lot of books that anymore that seem to take the time to make you feel like you are a part of the book which is why I felt that this sucked me into the book even more to the point that I fell in love with Travis, after all he is a bad boy and who doesn't love one of them right? LOL I loved that this book when it came to the sex scenes they weren't too in your face like some other books are and I felt like it had just the right amount of sexy wrapped inside the pages.

One of the things I didn't like was how oblivious Abby was towards Travis at times I felt like I wanted to reach into my book and shake her and give her a good slap and shout "What the eff is wrong with you arrghh!!"

Jamie McGuire has a real talent and I feel she is definitely one to look out for I'm pretty bummed that Beautiful Disaster is a one of story and not part of a series as I would love to see more from their story, I heard she is writing a POV from Travis so I look forward to that.

If you're after a quick easy read that you can lose yourself in (I read the book in about 8 hours split over 2 days) this book is the one for you but be warned you might just lose your heart to another boy in a book ;)
I have to say this book made it into my top five which is really uncommon since I only have a top 3 and they are all series! (I'm really not a lone book type of gal!)

So if you have made it this far I hope I have convinced you to pick up this amazing book and get lost in there story.

I give Beautiful Disaster 4 out of 5 Stars

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]