4.0 out of 5 stars When We Were Young, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Battle Born (Audio CD)
There comes a time when you reach a certain age with music and realise that you're not going to jump up and down screaming anymore, asking what the hell was that I just heard on the radio... and where can I get it!? Gone are the days when the first riff of Smells like Teen Spirit turned you to jelly, the opening chords of Teenage Kicks left you feeling dizzy with excitement, and the clanging chimes of Born to Run made you pump your fists in the air with delight. Maybe it's age, maybe it's a rather jaded, cynical outlook we have with the music industry, if not life, these days that turns those of us of a certain generation to more contemplative reactions. So it was that I invested in the new Killers album, took one look at the cover and honestly cringed and laughed out loud all at the same time. People don't commission artists to make record sleeves like this anymore surely... do they? Horses, mountains, open roads, chinks of light beyond the threatening sky. This went out with Meat Loaf didn't it? Boston, Kansas? Any American band named after somewhere?! This can't be good, I thought. And then I started playing the record; and from beginning to end, I had a smile on my face. It was all instantly recognisable, clichéd in places, yes, stretching the bounds of even this band's ironic credibility, certainly.

But then on Runaways I suddenly found my hands holding that imaginary guitar again and powering those chords through "you know this is real babe why you want to fight it?". On Here with Me, was that really my arms in the air moving in time to "spent the summer, laying out in the sun, time went so slow"? Wait a minute, is that the sound of a crescendo building on Miss Atomic Bomb? I AM 18 again, going down to the pub with my mates, basking in the endless summer, listening to "the heart of a girl, seeing the time dripping down the clock, reminding us of a place from where we came."

Of course it's all nonsense, none of it is real. Rock music never has been. I've spent enough time in the United States to know that I've never chased a stallion down an open road on the way to Monument Valley. But I once dreamed of doing it growing up in a small town wondering if I'd ever see what Bruce saw in his songs! And now with Battle Born, The Killers have brought me back to that state of mind and will no doubt do so in the future every time I indulge in this record for forty minutes or so. Now that is what rock music is for! Recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Sep 2012 21:03:57 BDT
Nice sentiments - I'm 53 and know exactly what you mean. I've got tickets to go see this lot on their upcoming tour and will be buying this album :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 21:11:03 BDT
Ah, best review Ive read for ages- not even got the album yet- waiting for it to arrive- but the references to Teenage Kicks and Born to Run strike a major chord- I am 47 and I still get so excited over music when it feels that relevant!! So, this isnt a review, but I will buy this album and enjoy it!!

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 22:45:29 BDT
Bob Jackson says:
There's always something magic
There's always something new
And when you really really need it the most
That's when rock and roll dreams come through

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 08:16:32 BDT
Mr. 880 says:
You were very kind to write, we're the same age so clearly we must have the same record collection!! Hope you enjoy the album.
I

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 13:08:03 BDT
Mr. 880 says:
Very kind of you to write, hope you enjoy the album and gig. I'm hoping to go myself!

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 16:30:18 BDT
Can beat that...59 and also have tickets for Cardiff.If I was any good at writing reviews Mr 880's is what I would have written!!

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 20:19:33 BDT
Mark Barlow says:
Great review Mr. 880! You may have heard the comparisons before but it sounds like you'd also enjoy Gaslight Anthem. Their latest album, Handwritten, is well worth buying (as are any of their previous releases).

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2012 09:53:43 BDT
Hello Mark
I'm a big Gaslight Anthem fan, and I'm listening to the new album as we speak. You're dead right about the comparsion/link. So thank you for making the connectionand your kind reply to the review.
I

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2012 16:14:57 BDT
Ciaran Flynn says:
Nice review, different, its like the lyrics to Kid Rocks All summer long, which most people seem to hate but i quite enjoyed

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 23:54:00 BDT
Sandy says:
I thought the cover art would look well on a Stephen King book :-) And that's fine with me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (224 customer reviews)

Reviewer