3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant... while it lasts., 30 Sep 2012
This review is from: Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th) (Electronics)
I was bought a Kindle as a birthday present in February from a friend in the UK, and since then have moved temporarily to the USA. At this point I registered my Kindle to an amazon.com account, simply so I could continue to download and read books with an American debit card. I absolutely loved my Kindle - it was easy to use, brilliant to read on, the screen was good, the choices of book were great, the battery life was outstanding and I had no problems. At this point I would have recommended it to anyone.

However a couple of days ago my Kindle malfunctioned and the screen became full of lines, making it completely unreadable. I had heard of Kindles doing this, and given that my Kindle is only just over 6 months old, I found this disappointing. What is equally disappointing is the fact that neither amazon.co.uk nor amazon.com are able to help me replace my Kindle. amazon.co.uk say that they cannot ship Kindles to the USA, and cannot work with amazon.com to do this. amazon.com say that they cannot replace my Kindle, (despite it being registered with an amazon.com account!) and I need to talk to amazon.co.uk. I have been going backwards and forwards for days, getting more and more frustrated, and it turns out that I cannot have my Kindle replaced until I return to the UK, simply because it was bought there.

The Kindle itself, while it works, is wonderful, and if it continued working I would have given this review five stars. But the fact that it broke within six months is not impressive, and spectacular unhelpfulness from both amazon.co.uk and amazon.com has disappointed me further. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT recommend the Kindle, therefore for people who travel or move countries a lot due to work, like myself, as if (when?) it breaks, you will not be able to get your Kindle replaced.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Sep 2012 18:51:38 BDT
Oracle says:
Get the replacement shipped to friends or family in the UK and get them to send it on to you.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Sep 2012 19:49:46 BDT
Hebe says:
That's what I'm going to do. It's just more hassle than it needs to be, seeing as amazon.com distribute Kindles throughout the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Oct 2012 15:56:27 BDT
simba says:
That is terrible by Amazon. I am shocked.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Oct 2012 09:03:17 BDT
This might be a bit naive, although I think in a UK court of law or small claims court you'd win your case, but could you get Amazon UK to refund, then buy it again from Amazon USA? The only prob I can foresee is that the person who bought it for you (your friend) might have to do all of that legwork, as the contract is between them and Amazon UK. But yes, Amazon UK and USA should have their heads banged together to help them see sense. As well as stars.

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 13:17:16 BDT
Andy P says:
This is probably a fairly standard response from a company that operates in multiple countries. Just like if you bought an iPod in the US and brought back to the UK, your warranty would not be valid in the UK , you would have to go back to America. In theory it should be simple to make intercompany exchanges with a multinatinal company, but also remember, Amazon.co.uk will most likely be a seperate legal entity to Amazon.com. As a consumer, you should not really be surprised at the problems you have encountered.

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 16:10:07 BDT
Send your Kindle back to the friend in the UK.
Amazon UK are excellent at dealing with returns.
If the friend has the option of a refund and you are likely to remain in the States buy a replacement in the States.
Inconvenient, I know, but one would probably face the same problem with most products bought in the UK.

Clearly there is a lesson for Amazon to learn from this - they want to sell to the world so make their warranties work the same way.

Posted on 8 Oct 2012 18:29:00 BDT
Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

I have had 2 kindles, both broke down within a year. I got them both replaced under the warranty. then the new ones broke. But they were no longer covered as the warranty only extends for one year from the purchase of the original, not from receiving the replacement. Is kindle failure very common?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2012 00:23:39 BDT
Hebe says:
I think Kindle failure is pretty common... it seems to be anyway on reading other reviews. It's a shame because I actually genuinely loved my Kindle. It's just a shame they seem to break so easily.

Posted on 9 Oct 2012 11:00:12 BDT
minnie says:
I am looking for a gift to take to an Indian friend who lives in Jaipur. I am thinking of buying a Kindle and loading it up with books for him. It would also be nice if he could eventually download books of his choice in India. (I would be happy to pay for them on my account). Does this make sense or does anyone know any reason why this is a bad idea. To get Wi Fi he does have to go to a local cafe.

Posted on 9 Oct 2012 20:58:08 BDT
I bought my Kindle in Australia with amazon.com, Never had any problem getting it replaced over here in the UK. Ohh and those lines u see on the screen are because u cracked it.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (9,906 customer reviews)
 (7,172)