ARRAY(0xa2b71c30)

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 10 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Husband's Secret (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After reading all the glowing reviews on Amazon, I eagerly ordered The Husband's Secret. It is only when I read the biography that I realised I had read another of the author's books, "What Alice Forgot", which I remembered kind of liking but finding a bit slow in places.

I am really quite undecided how I feel about this book. There are some parts I like, but I can't say I'm as impressed as other reviewers.

The basic premise is that three women's lives will intersect, however, I feel each character could have probably coped in a stand alone novel of their own, each has so much going on that I don't feel they are done justice in this novel. I got confused over who was who at the beginning of the book, definitely with Cecilia running off the names of her friends (who have no real part in the story), her 3 daughters, husband, schoolteachesr etc. It took a long time for Cecilia to decide to read her husband's letter and I think the fallout got a bit repetitive in places.

Rachel is the now elderly mother of a murdered teen plodding through life looking for answers she thinks she will never get. I think her loneliness was captured by the author quite well, but again, feel like the surface of this woman and her problems was just scratched. I think there was far more potential to explore her story.

And then we have Tess, who has been betrayed by those closest to her and needs time to figure things out. Again, I thought Tess's story had so much scope but combined with the other two females, there didn't seem room to go into it.

I found the book to be quite slow in places and was wishing pages away where nothing seems to happen just to get to the meaty bits. I think for me, the underlying story is a great read, however, I found Cecilia's scenes really repetitive, and Tess's quite slow. Rachel was the only one I had any real empathy for but then found her "resolution" at the end a little off key.

It is worth a read but didn't quite hit the mark for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Jan 2014 16:41:55 GMT
There is very little I could add to this review as it reflects my opinion exactly. I found the first half of the book a "plodding" read, took far to long to expose the contents of that all important letter.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2014 12:28:24 GMT
Queen Bee says:
Surely the delay in opening the letter added a little suspense to the book. Then we had the suspense of what Cecilia would do about it.
The worse thing about this book was the ending -dreadful. Did the author get fed up with it or come up against a deadline?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (2,379 customer reviews)
 (1,366)