1.0 out of 5 stars Killing Floor POOR, 25 Nov 2012
This review is from: Killing Floor: 1 (Jack Reacher) (Mass Market Paperback)
I bought this book because I thought the movie looked lots of fun (still do) however if I thought the books would aid in my pleasure I was wrong. Obviously with seventeen books involving Jack Reacher I knew before I read the book that his mortality was never in danger, considering the title and his reputation I thought he may get banged up a bit unfortunately the only injury he received was a bruised forehead from a head-butt he initiated. He was so indestructible he could give The Avengers a run for their money.

The story was wrong from the first coincidence, his brother dead in the same town he just wandered into (c'mon please give the reader some credit). After that it just got silly especially the tramp talking about spaceships. Lots of driving to and fro only for the journey to be wasted for one reason or another. More absurdly it took Reacher a couple of hours of reading to discover the criminal activity what his dead brother (treasury agent) and a couple of professors couldn't figure out in a year.

The writing is a mess and often lazy, the plot is very predictable and the characters are out of place.- I understand this was the first novel and maybe further along the series all have got better but I am not sure I want to invest any more money or time.

My own fault for expecting too much but never expected it to come close to being poor.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Dec 2012 12:24:20 GMT
I wish I had read your review before I bought it! Very disappointing book.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2012 12:53:18 GMT
Very disappointing indeed -was looking for a new series to read thought Lee Childs - Stuart Neville looks good

Posted on 5 Feb 2013 21:31:22 GMT
Steve G says:
They didn't do a film to this book. But as far as I go with books. Lee Child would get no worse than 3 stars at the bottom line in any of his books. I would rank him at 4 to 5 on his first 7.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2013 23:17:03 GMT
I know this book wasn't made into a movie - I was relating the two...The movie is very good by the way. The review is just my opinion that the story was too clichéd with unrealistic coincidences. It was poor to expect the reader to believe in a character so over the top in a crime novel.
Thanks for your input...

Posted on 26 Feb 2013 11:26:26 GMT
The "coincidence" of Reacher and his Brother being in the same town is explained in future books. I have read all 17 and you should give them another try.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,856 customer reviews)
 (1,070)