5.0 out of 5 stars Architectural goodness, 2 May 2010
This review is from: One Planet Communities: A Real Life Guide to Sustainable Living (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I don't know whether I should write a review or a thesis on Pooran Desai's 'One Planet Communities A Real-life Guide to Sustainable Living.' Firstly the book itself is very well constructed with a definite narrative progression embracing his ambition, actual physical realities, reflection and further enquiry.

Now the going gets tough. Do I continue with my personal response to his ideas or do I consider the book as it hits the public domain? Well, I enjoyed reading it and making some four pages of notes and thoughts in the process. Maybe that is all you need to know? No.

The author is also a player. Oxbridge educated and got his architectural designs built. And he lives the buildings he helped design. Connection is important. What he has done is to also construct a language. A language which enabled him to sell to China because their culture resonates with the language of 'one planet living.' Three words, simple concept. Some humans lifestyles would equal a need for three planets if transposed to every human, some humans have a lifestyle equal to half a planet required if transposed to every human. Must admit I couldn't really get excited about that but certainly do understand how useful it could be. I see it all as pollution. The words and language may have changed over the years but waste is waste and it just doesn't feel right to have rubbish.

What I did get excited about in his book was his stress on happiness. Indeed the whole of chapter eight is plonked right in the middle of the book as: 'Health, happiness and multiple benefits of green space.' Brilliant. One line in particular had me dancing in my mind: 'mixing income groups is important.' Real life and very welcome. All around me I see segregation. Nave intentions. Stupidity. He did not need to explain it to me but he did and very well.

I hope we can all understand that blinkered consumerism does not make you happy. That fuelling the gap between rich and not so rich is demoralising for everyone, though it may not be admitted. Pooran Desai has refrained from emotive procrastination and articulated a way of being which is literally built from the ground up. Or you could carry on regardless. Heartless. Unhappy.

There is a table of ten 'one planet' principles, however. With number one as: Zero carbon and number ten as: Health and Happiness. I was tempted to supplement my review with ten of my own, directed specifically at upgraders like myself but I think I'll stick with highly recommending that this book should be read and then breathed.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]