5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Being Human - Series 5 [DVD] (DVD)
Well, what a ride it has been. Seven stars, five series, countless tears and endless embarrassing snorts of laughter. Being Human, I will miss you.
Series 5, where to start? It's been brilliant. The design and soundtrack are as always flawlessly selected and utilised, the premise and plot carry along nicely and never feel awkward. The guest stars are predictably wonderful - the superbly twitchy Mr Rook played by Steven Robertson makes a welcome return, and Colin Hoult earns his well deserved acting stripes as socially awkward Ian Cram, like the runner. Then, of course, there's the inimitable Phil Davis as - well - a role he was absolutely destined to play. And there are many more wonderful guests, bit parts, even creator cameos who all provide excellent support to the impossibly talented trio at the heart of the story. (There are some welcome returns too...)
Hal (Damien Molony), Alex (Kate Braken) and Tom (Michael Socha) are truly a dream team, I warmed to them almost immediately and their chemistry as a trio is second to none. It's all a matter of opinion, but I actually prefer them to the original cast - just a tad. And this series the actors really prove how talented they are. And they're very talented.
As for the series overall, the direction, writing and cinematography have all been kicked up a gear this year. And to make up for BBC3 cutting the series length by two episodes we were gifted a wealth of extra material online, most of which I expect will be on the DVD. We have also been promised an exclusive to DVD extra scene that will settle (probably, a bit) the wonderfully disconcerting ending, which I shan't spoil.
Probably due to the reduction in length, and the fact that the show was not recommissioned, the series occasionally feels a little rushed (especially the last episode, which is an odd waltz of action and anti-climax) but all the character development felt natural and the plot was always gripping, so I wouldn't even think about rating it fewer than five stars. In terms of all time, it's currently sharing second place with series one (for me, anyway).
This series feels like it has so much to prove, to show the BBC it was wrong to cancel it (it was always too good for BBC3 anyway); and you know what? It does. I feel fully justified in my five star review; rarely has a series kept me this hooked, this excited, this emotionally engaged. I encourage anyone reading this review to buy this DVD.
Five amazing years culminating in a truly spectacular, and utterly worthy final series. Bravo.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2013 06:26:50 GMT
It's over? :( I'm in the U.S., so we haven't received series 5, yet. (I don't follow the U.S. version of the series. I was hooked on the original BBC version from the first time I saw the ads, and I've been watching ever since--even with all the cast changes). I've been waiting for series 5 since watching the end of series 4, so it's a bit sad to hear that the show has been dropped by the BBC. Thanks for the review. Now that I know that it will be the last series, I'm definitely going to order this DVD. (Not waiting for BBC America to play catch-up with this series any longer!)

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2013 11:52:42 GMT
AGoodOmen says:
I'm sorry to spring it on you like this; I assumed everyone knew. Personally I think what BBC3 did to it was an appalling travesty, but it certainly went out with a bang. Series 5 is super though, so I hope you enjoy it.

Posted on 18 Nov 2013 18:02:29 GMT
kmalex says:
Well, you pretty much said anything I could say in your review, though I will add my own once I figure out what to say. I am in the US and while I had seen the announcement that it had been canceled back when it happened, how truly ludicrous that decision was did not hit me until I watched the first episode. Then, here, BBC America did equally shameful things, like airing it in hour long time slots and cutting 20 minutes for commercials, and the last episode they pushed back two hours to air episodes of Star Trek:TNG of all things. The show was worthy of so much better treatment all around. Ah well, thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough and glowing review.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (45 customer reviews)

19.99 8.75