3.0 out of 5 stars I wish to register a complaint!, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Monty Python's Flying Circus: Complete and Annotated - All the Bits (Hardcover)
Sorry, I couldn't resist that title. I was anticipating tearing into this book so much, really immensely looking forward to it, but when it arrived the problem became apparent. I shall now explain it in a rather roundabout way. Luke Dempsey wants to annotate the already published scripts of the Flying Circus television series, and so realises his annotations can fall into the following categories -

1. Information that was left out of the original published script book (descriptions of It's Man sequences, animations, etc.)
2. Ways in which the recorded programme differed from the original and published script (cuts, fluffs, additions)
3. References encyclopaedia
4. Production trivia (anecdotes, sketches that were removed)

And also plop in bits of criticism when he feels necessary. That's fine. So... why all the blank spaces in the margin? There are loads of sketches which go uncommented on, and this is exacerbated by a lot of the comments taking up so much space being very poorly written. Many opportunities for fascinating and important pieces of information to be included are denied in favour of repeating certain entries (Reginald Maudling and Eton are described unnecessarily alongside every mention) and overblowing the hilarity of supposed bloopers (did Chapman really bump into a teenage boy during the Olympic Hide and Seek Finals sketch? Nope) Saying that Palin has to wait for laughter to die down before saying his next line in Interesting People is entirely needless. Some entries are also just plain inaccurate. Dempsey that the word 'mentch' as used in Biggles Dictates A Letter is an abbreviation of mention, when it's plain to anyone watching that he Chapman is saying 'mensch' in the Jewish sense, i.e. somebody who borrows from those around them. The line 'hate to be a mensch, but can I borrow that lawn-mower' (only slightly paraphrased, as the book is out of reach) should have made this clear.

To give an example of something that was left out, I have always been intrigued by a caption saying "Sandy Wilson's version of 'The Devils'" during the silly song at the end of the Language Laboratory sketch (Proust episode). This wasn't explained. Looking it up, I find out this brief joke relies on knowledge of both the sombre films of Ken Russell and the camp musicals of Sandy Wilson. Apparently Russell directed a version of Wilson's musical The Boyfriend much to Wilson's umbrage, making it rather grittier than it was intended to be. And so the gag implies that was as ridiculous as getting Wilson to direct a version of one of Russell's films. I find this fascinating and believe it was the sort of information that should have been included! Rather than espousing on almond cakes and saying a certain beard is funny, although both activities are of course fine in moderation. There is also an incident in which David Frost's telephone number was flashed up as a prank then later edited out, which could well have been included and there would have been much rejoicing. (For more information on how the shows were put together, search 'SOTCAA Python edits' with Google)

The final point to make is that Dempsey's writing style in the other sections feels very rushed. And why would somebody who has bought an in-depth analysis of Python need a quick-fix bio of each of the members anyway? I also feel there's far too much bashing of the British. Mr Dempsey, now living in Australia, begins the book by apologising for being British which is surely bizarre and unnecessary. His other comments on Britain read like something from the type of 1950's schoolbook that Palin and Jones would go on to mock. We could also do without Dempsey's prissy apologies for more daring material. 'The sight of the critic strangling his wife seems, to modern audiences, rather crass' Really? Wow. I'm sure it was at the time. He also quotes from Wikipedia an awful lot. Also, at second glance, many of the stills from the episodes are very blurry and could have been improved by waiting a few seconds before selecting the image.

BUT! Here's the thing. I still love this book, in an odd way. It's great as a reference guide, the colourful images making 'which bit is from where' queries easily resolved and some snippets of information reaffirm why I admire Python so highly. Yes, some of the information is very interesting. The derivation of the Northern expression 'I'll go to the foot of my stairs' meaning 'I'm so excited I could wet myself' for one thing, and the reason a reference to lampshades doesn't get a laugh in the Mr Hilter skit made me cringe. Ultimately people who are less obsessive than myself will surely delight in the book as it stands. All the shows, y'know. It's great, it's bright, it's massive. It's just a shame it isn't as good as it so easily could have been.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 26 Jan 2013 16:59:12 GMT
Excellent review. Very inciteful and well thought out. Perhaps Mr. Turgid should consider writing his own take on Python? Perhaps do a better job and 'Make Peace' with Dempsey? Sorry that's an awful joke!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 22:23:27 GMT
I really enjoyed your review, and combined with the Look Inside feature I can definitely see your point.
This book was high on my Wish List, and you're review has somewhat taken the wind out of my sails, but even so, I believe when the price will go down to reasonable levels it will end up on my bookshelf.
Keep the good job - you have a promising future as a reviewer here...

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jan 2013 22:36:04 GMT
Mark Turgid says:
Thank you very much, both of you. Nice to know my pernickety nature is appreciated in some corners.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2014 00:12:01 GMT
Melincourt says:
The line you pick up on isn't "Hate to be a mensch", but rather "Sorry to mensch". So it either IS an abbreviation of "mention", or it's a new use of the noun 'mensch' as a verb. Either way I don't think it's clear enough for you to claim it as an error.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Mar 2014 17:08:36 GMT
Mark Turgid says:
That's a fair point and one I did wonder about after writing the review, cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2014 21:03:24 BDT
Dee-en says:
Superb review, I couldn't have put it better myself. I was lucky enough to get the book cheaply, so I am holding onto it even though it is far from being perfect. The problem is when someone does a book like this it means that no one else will bother to try but I hope they do because it badly needs doing properly
I have long been looking for a MP book that covers all those details I'm sure we have all often wondered about - the inspiration for the character's names - the music - the locations of the filmed inserts - the guest actors (the ones who aren't credited) - edits - bloopers - and so on, but no one has ever managed. I thought this might be it, and sadly it isn't.
I should imagine that even the most casual fan must have noticed something in one of the episodes that the author has missed here. I'm sure if he'd asked fans to offer suggestions they would have been glad to help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (8 customer reviews)

35.00 28.00