1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy - Contains a rootkit, 5 May 2008
This review is from: Green Wing Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a very big fan of the show and that's why I bought the collectors' edition.

However, when I inserted the dvd in my computer and looked at the contents of the dvd I noticed that it tries to automatically install a rootkit without any user intervention. This kind of behavior is not even legal.
We as customers are getting punished for buying it while pirates provide it for free without malware.
I won't buy dvd's anymore from Channel4 in the future.

The technical stuff:
The DVD's contain Macrovision ActiveReach RipGuard technology. There are 3 hidden files (autorun.inf, 70Z58O4I.exe, RGASDEV.SYS) that, when installed, stop people from creating a legal backup copy for personal use.
There is no way to uninstall this program therefore it gets labeled as a rootkit:
[...]

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 May 2008 10:49:47 BDT
Lou Knee says:
God, you don't half make me feel stupid, mate. I didn't understand a word of that.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2008 16:40:47 BDT
In other words: the dvd tries to automatically install an application that stops you from creating a copy of a dvd.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2008 22:57:23 BDT
Datolite says:
This isn't actually illegal, Sony started using it on their PS3 games, to stop them from being ripped (it wiped the DVD when ripping was attempted). But then hackers took the technology and started using it as a virus/trojan.

It is perfectly legal for them to protect their DVD's with technology to prevent them being ripped. Just be thankful that the DVD doesn't wipe if you attempt to rip it.

Posted on 18 Sep 2008 13:53:41 BDT
The reviews should be about the DVDs, not about copy protection which is legitimate to prevent piracy.

Posted on 20 Sep 2008 01:52:06 BDT
Noamis says:
The comment is very helpful and it IS about the DVDs. Completely on topic. I don't want a DVD which automatically installs an application without my permission onto my computer - not only because it prevents me from making legal copies, but because these types of programs have been known to leave computers vulnerable to hackers or other malicious programs. I can't speak for the UK legal system since I'm a US citizen (I just have to shop at UK amazon to get gems like Green Wing) but although the US hasn't yet determined that Sony's actions with this kind of program are illegal, there are several pending lawsuits from NY, California and Texas which will likely set a future precedent. Sony has had to recall loads of audio cds and they have officially apologized for the debacle (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal ). I guess I'll have to wait for a US release for this great show, if it ever happens. Thanks for the heads-up.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2008 11:53:13 BDT
Does it screw up a Mac?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2008 14:20:44 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2008 14:22:55 BDT
Jules 77 says:
I would definitely question the legality of them installing any software on my pc without my permission and not being able to remove the software they have installed just makes it worse. I was going to buy this set buy will now give it a miss.

Also you cannot wipe a disc by trying to copy it, that is just a nonsense the was around in the vhs days.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jan 2009 15:56:13 GMT
Simes82 says:
Am I the only one thinking about buying it and playing it on a dvd player? You don't need to make copys

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2009 14:06:18 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Jan 2009 16:23:46 GMT]

Posted on 26 Mar 2009 14:36:58 GMT
Bananaman says:
It's a very simple process to rip this boxset ! Just install Anydvd software then you can back up the DVDs to your hearts content. I've just done it using DVD Shrink.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (125 customer reviews)

£59.99 £19.99