5.0 out of 5 stars Awakeness Speaks, 2 Dec 2011
This review is from: Falling into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering (Hardcover)
No one on the planet is more ordinary that Adyashanti, which is the highest compliment that I can pay. As a result of deep, authentic humility and an ever-new willingness, That which inhabits and animates all of us shines through Adya with crystal clarity--and cuts with the power of Manjushri's sword.

Adya himself often declares, "I'm not a comfort guy, I'm a Truth guy." If that's your beacon, this is your man. There may well be plenty of comfort in Truth in the end, but we have to first be willing to sort through all the uncomfortable garbage that apparently lies between us and It. In actuality there's nothing at all between us and It; nothing but a story woven around and through a set of conditioned beliefs, but I'll leave that for Adya.

"Falling Into Grace", Adya's sixth book, is a masterpiece of what I call "The 360 Path". What I mean is that so often spiritual books or teachers help us to break out of the trance of separation, but simply leave us in the other extreme. We move precisely 180 degrees from where we've been all of our lives. First I was just-Fred and I thought I was lowly and common. Now I see that I'm actually NOT-FRED and now I think I'm special. (And believe you should think so, too!)

While this shift is freeing, and grand and important, it's not to be confused with true liberation. We're simply set up now to suffer from a higher level, through our identification with emptiness instead of personality.

Adya doesn't do anything via half measures and he won't point you half-way home. As the Zen poem says, "First, mountains were mountains and rivers were rivers." (0 degrees) "Then mountains were not mountains and rivers were not rivers." (180 degrees) "Finally I saw mountains were again mountains and rivers were again rivers." (360 degrees)

This all-inclusive, return-to-the-beginning is what Adya calls The Full Embrace. No one lives it better than he and Mukti. This book is also Adya's very own 360--he's swung full circle and is back at the beginning, back to teaching the basics in such a profound way that we feel we've never heard them before. And of course we never have.

I am deeply grateful for the treasure of this teaching and for the lantern of his personal integrity. Namaste and good luck on the path from here to Here.

Fred Davis
Awakening Clarity

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]