5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me to re-discover my faith, 8 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Power Of Positive Thinking (Paperback)
I bought this book for three reasons. The first reason is because it featured in '50 self-help classics' by Tom Butler-Bowdon and having read many self-help books which all emphasise the importance of positive thinking, I was interested in reading one of the most famous and best-selling books on the topic.

The second reason is because I watched a documentary on the billionaire Donald Trump and discovered that Norman Vincent Peale was actually his preacher in New York!

The final reason which persuaded me to finally buy the book is when I watched another documentary, a BBC one, called 'the American Dream.' A priest gave an interview for the documentary explaining how the principles in the book had inspired him to achieve an olympic medal, I think it was for pole vaulting, but I cannot remember for sure!

In terms of the positive thinking aspects of the book, I did not really learn anything that was of any significant difference from what I had already learnt from other self-help books. The one way in which the book did help me however was by helping me to re-discover my faith.

The author of the book was a preacher and he often cites bible passages which he recommends that people memorise, passages such as: 'I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me' and 'according to your faith be it unto you.' I am usually very sceptical and reluctant to try out exercises such as these which are proposed in self-help books (which I suppose defeats the purpose of reading them!) but I gave it a shot and it has really helped me.

I use to go to church regularly but limited my worship to the church service. It wasn't until I read this book that I realised faith could be applied on a daily basis and to anything. I now use some of those recommended verses to empower my thinking and it has helped me not only in my studies but in my physical exercise too. I have definitely noticed an increase in performance and I feel less stressed. The book actually inspired me to buy a copy of the bible again after I gave my last one away. I had never really thought of the bible as a self-help book before but that's exactly what it is and there are some really great lessons and verses in there which can benefit anyone, regardless of their beliefs.

If you don't believe in God then this book probably isn't for you due to the heavy religious content but some people prefer to think of it as a 'power of the universe' or 'flow'. Either way positive thinking is a sound concept. Gandhi said 'if you can change your thoughts, you can change the world.' I use to be very negative and pessimistic but I have managed to re-condition my mind to thinking more optimistically through reading books like this and it has definitely changed my life for the better.

[Add comment]