3.0 out of 5 stars A great printer, with a huge 'but'..............., 14 May 2013
This review is from: Epson Expression Photo Printer XP-750 with Claria Photo HD Ink - Wi-Fi and Touch Panel (Accessory)
I have not been moved to write a serious review before, but the XP-750 has provided me with such an extreme contrast between excellence and frustration that I feel the need to share my experience. Let me start with the good news: I am a serious amateur photographer and I bought this printer to replace an Epson Stylus Photo printer, solely for printing my photographs. Using the original inks and Epson Premium Glossy paper, the print quality of the XP-750 is excellent, by far the best I have seen for a home printer and stunning at the price. It is also very quick with best quality prints, and my initial estimate of cost-per-print is that an A4 size print will come in at at less than 30p.

Now comes the 'but',................

I have been installing printers to computers since the mid-1980s (my first was an Amiga with a dot-matrix device) without any significant problems, but the Epson installation software for this printer is disastrous. I appreciate that this problem might be specific to my hardware setup. I am using Windows Vista on a fairly fast PC and a BT Infinity broadband wifi connection; probably not untypical. I will spare you the detail, but two very lengthy, failed attempts to get the printer talking to the wifi and my PC at the same time (just following the software requestors), both ended in a 'hung' process requiring a complete uninstall and restart. At this point I ditched the supplied software and went for a manual install through Windows, which eventually worked. The reason I have decided to write a review now is that I have just attempted to scan direct from from the printer to my PC, but it refuses to do so and is asking for a USB connection. This is, in my opinion, the root of the problem with the Epson installation software - it probably works fine with hardwired USB, but it can't cope with password-protected wifi (at no stage during the failed installation attempts did it ask for the wifi key), which is quite ridiculous today. I should also add that I am running a Kodak all-in-one printer on the same setup, which installed like a dream.

So, the XP-750 gets 5 stars for print quality, but a big, fat zero for software and ease of installation. If you are serious about your photographs I would highly recommend this printer, but only if your PC-rage and anger management training is current, and your computer skills are up to a 'first principles' installation. In my case, both were seriously tested.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 May 2013 14:19:21 BDT
jsm999 says:
Thank you for this useful and balanced review - I'm glad your PC rage drove you to the Amazon review page rather than anything involving hammers and smashed printer components!

Posted on 21 May 2013 15:23:13 BDT
D. A. Wilson says:
Thanks for the excellent review; it mirrors my experience exactly with an Epson PX 710 a couple of years ago. And the wi-fi issues remain to this day. I have been blaming my BT router, as I know it causes other problems with other device on my network.

Posted on 3 Jun 2013 21:46:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jun 2013 21:56:22 BDT
K. Moxham says:
Thanks for this excellent review. My current and soon to be binned Epson Printer (just out of warranty of course) no longer recognises its inks and no way can I uninstall the printer software!!!
Having owned only Epson printers ever since I've owned computers (circa 1995) I think I will now be looking at another manufacturer as there are far too many reports on the web regarding poor Epson software! Please can anyone advise me re Canon photo quality printers?
Sorry to question your post but please confirm your cost per A4 print as less than 30p. Is that for a full colour photo best quality print or a sheet of B & W text?
Thanks in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2013 01:46:49 BDT
D. A. Wilson says:
I have just helped someone set up a Canon MG 6300 series printer; about the same spec as a decent Epson for home use. Having used several printers over the years, the Canon is BY FAR the easiest to set up and use. Absolutely brilliant, without reservation. And it prints superb colour photos as well, with the added bonus of apparently much lower ink usage than my current Epson.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2013 21:44:18 BDT
K. Moxham says:
Thanks for the pointer, I will check this one out.

Posted on 27 Aug 2013 08:49:19 BDT
DjRicardo says:
I have just looked at all the reviews on this printer and you are the only one to give less than 4 stars which is fair enough you blame Epson software for your problems I would look nearer to home ie: windows OS vista it is the worst OS since windows millennium hence the quick arrival of windows 7 I am also intrigued by the fact you have a Kodak printer installed as well why the need for 2 printers you also say you appreciate the problems might be specific to your hardware setup if so why do you blame the product windows vista and BT Infinity oh dear by the way I build PC Systems and configure networks.
Regards EE

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Sep 2013 16:19:07 BDT
Neil E says:
"you are the only one to give less than 4 stars " - Erm I suggest you look again as 21 people rate it under 4 stars

Posted on 12 Dec 2013 17:06:32 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Dec 2013 17:07:06 GMT
G Force 7 says:
This is one of a few fantastic comments that have ever graced the Amazon forum. I guess you come from Oxford or Cambridge and I do hope Epson will find time to explain this to us. Otherwise, I'm not going anywhere near considering. My previous affair with Epson almost bankrupted me so I had to seek a quick divorce.

These days my relationship is focused on canon printers for my photo prints; and so far I'm on my third relationship and its been generally cost efficient and no acrimonies - in relative terms.

It responds w/out delay each time I ask some jobs and does quite a brilliant job too!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 14:54:37 GMT
P. Jameson says:
Hi I wounder if you can help me, i am intrested in buying this printer but need to know if it is a top loading tray and what the smallest the feed tray will come to. I currently have an epson RX585 and i need to feed card into it that measure 6cm

Many Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 15:49:49 GMT
DjRicardo says:
Hi
Re the XP750 sorry but both feed trays are bottom loading and sit between the tilting front panel and bottom flap hope this helps.

R Thompson