1.0 out of 5 stars Final impressions..., 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: NETGEAR RN10200-100EUS ReadyNAS 102 2 Bay Personal Cloud Network Attached Storage (Diskless), iTunes Server, Plex Server, DLNA Media Streaming and RAID (Accessory)
This is my first NAS. It's the RN102. On the whole there is room for improvement. I now have had it for a week. I experimented first with an old WD SATA2 640GB HDD, but now had a 1TB Seagate Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB 3.5 inch Hard Drive from its supported drives list. the new drive is even more quieter and a touch quicker, but same issues remain.

The unit itself feels well-built and runs quiet. The mechanism to fit the disk is very good and easy. You get cat 5 network cable in the box that I didn't use as I had a spare cat 6 cable. Make sure to read the manuals from Netgear website.

When fitted the full WD drive, all lights came on, but I got stuck. As my disk had been in use and not empty, I needed to perform factory default first so the RN102 wipes the disk and install its own OS 6. This should work by disconnecting power, hold paperclip in the reset button/hole in the back, reconnect power and press the front backup button few times to get to the desired default process. Once there, you release the paperclip and the factory default should start, but nothing was cycling for me. Well, this did not work. I eventually got past that by taking the drive out, put it back in its old enclosure, connect to PC as USB external drive and deleted the partitions in win7 administrative tools.

When re-installed again, the RN102 became alive and worked fine. No need to download firmware as it automatically prompted me to install the newest version. There was no problem when later on I replaced the new unformatted Seagate drive. The RN102 just automatically did the formatting and the OS6.6 install in no time, so no worries if you fit a brand new drive.

I tried drag and drop to copy files in the NAS admin page, but this didn't work in Firefox. Instead I opened "network" in windows, opened the NAS in the top section of "computers" used copy & paste from the PC folders into the corresponding NAS folders. This worked fine and very reasonable speed. Both PC and RN102 are connected directly to the router by network cable. It is seen and works as media server great no problems, but I couldn't so far make it discoverable as "Network windows share" on some other devices, so still trying.

The HDD does not spin down even though I'm using a supported drive. You have to power off the unit to give the drive some rest, but on booting again, the NAS almost always is not discoverable as DLNA device. It's luck of the dice how many times it would take rebooting, either by the power button, restart in the web page or unplugging then re-plugging the power cable till it is discoverable again as DLNA on the network. I do not think that it is meant to be "on" all the time and it should really be switched off and on smoothly. Not sure what's the point of "Wake on LAN" if the unit is always on. There should really be something simple like in Windows to set up Sleep after number of minutes of inactivity, and then it would wake on LAN if required. The on and off timer works fine, but same issue with DLNA on booting.

Update: I changed the review from first to final impressions and downgraded it from 3 to 1 star. I contacted Netgear trying to solve the problem with booting. They wanted me to try a new firmware that is still a beta version. They have the audacity to sell a product that does not function properly and then ask me to experiment for them. After all these versions of their firmware, you would've thought that all problems have been ironed out. No thank you very much. I will be trying another make and I wish Netgear all the best in charging people to experiment on them. In my humble opinion, they should try their designs out before it is put for sale. The only bonus is that the unit is good looking and well built, but what's the point of a sturdy nice looking unit that raises your blood pressure every time you switch it on. Lesson learnt: No more Netgear for me, it is going back. I think I will give Synology a go.

Update: I now had Synology DS213J 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure for a week. It is working with no problems as it should. It does not have USB3 and does not have front USB port. It does not have the brilliant hard drive fitting mechanism of the Netgear, but it is doing what it should be doing. It goes off and back on no problems. It goes to sleep when the disk is not being accessed after time that you can set. It took ages to index all my files overnight, but works flawlessly since then. All my devices could see it and access the files as DLNA and windows share. It is just working. Sorry Netgear, but your fancy box is just too much hassle and the Synology wins hands down.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]