3.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 Pro 64-bit., 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Windows 8

Microsoft also has its own pages called Microsoft Compatibility Centre which lists a vast range of software and hardware which will (or won't) work with Windows 8. Both 32-bit and 64-bit, Windows 8 RT and Windows 7 are also included.
Having worked in I.T. for many years (going back to the days of Windows 3.1), and have already installed the pre-releases of Windows 8, I knew what to expect from the upgrade and its new look.
My PC is nearly 4 years old with a 320 Gig Hard Drive, 4 Gigs of RAM, 1 Gig Nvidia Graphics card and a USB Wireless adapter.
I created a new spare partition from the free space on my Hard drive and copied over all the documents and data that I wanted to keep. I already had another copy of documents and data on DVD.
I powered up my machine and set it to boot from the Windows 8 DVD. I selected clean install, resized and formatted my first and second partitions. The installation was fairly quick and I had Windows 8 installed on my machine in under 1 hour.
Windows 8 had installed most drivers apart from my printer, Wireless Adapter and Graphics Card. I downloaded the latest drivers for my USB Wireless adapter and had some trials at getting it to work. Looking on the Internet I found that other people had the same issue and the solution was to install the driver in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Doing this I got access to the internet.
I ran the Windows update in the Control Panel and this downloaded a further 750 Megs of updates.
Once all the drivers where working I installed Office 2010 and other standard applications, and customised the Windows 8 Start tiles.
Finally I created a standard user account which I use for everyday use.

I have now been using Windows 8 for a couple of weeks without any problems, and no crashes.
I'm used to the interface and have created a few shortcuts on my desktop's start bar.

Should you upgrade to Windows 8 ?
If you are still using Windows XP, then remember that Microsoft will stop supporting it from 9th April 2014.
If you are still using Vista then Microsoft will stop supporting it from 18th April 2017.
If you are using Windows 7 and happy with it then the choice is yours if you want to upgrade to Windows 8. Support for Windows 7 will stop in 15th January 2020.
(That is the current dates for extended support from Microsoft. The products themselves will of course still work).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Dec 2012 14:12:43 GMT
Thanks for the review. Are you able to dual-boot Win8 Pro (Upgrade) with Win7? I'm hearing conflicting stories about whether you can or cannot. Any help/info appreciated!

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2012 19:19:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Dec 2012 19:21:43 GMT
Master1 says:
Yes, you can multiboot Windows 7 with Windows 8.
1st create two partitions, then install Windows 7, then install Windows 8 in the 2nd partition.
Remember that your apps will have to be installed for both O/Ss.
(I have not tried this with the final release on Windows 8, but on a pre-release).
If you're not sure, ask someone who does work as a Deskside / Desktop support engineer who has experience with IT and multibooting Windows.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Dec 2012 22:32:50 GMT
Thanks for the reply. Seems to be confusion as to whether you can dual boot with this one, as you say you could with the betas. If it doesn't work I guess I can just do a clean install of Win8 but don't really want to replace Win7 at this point. Once again, thanks for the help :-)

Posted on 13 Jan 2013 14:27:32 GMT
CeNedra Red says:

Posted on 31 Jan 2013 13:14:46 GMT
Hils says:
It is very refreshing to have a technical review - thank you! Perhaps the first sentence is relevant for those who are at the beginning of the learning curve:

"I would advise that someone who wants to upgrade their machine to Windows 8 to first download Microsoft's upgrade advisor. This will check applications and hardware for compatibility with Windows 8."

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 19:48:29 GMT
Kindle Fan says:
I was wondering if you could help me. I have a Dell laptop currently running xp and have run the compatibility test you suggested for windows 8. The test says that it is compatible and recommends the full pack at 99 for basic and 199 for pro. What is the difference between that and this product? Would it work to just buy this one or would I need to invest in the more expensive version? I'm so confused!

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 17:08:07 GMT
Least I have plenty of time (7 years) before i am forced to upgrade :P

Posted on 7 Feb 2013 12:01:29 GMT
Ka'Ching says:
> even worse than Vista when it came out originally. <

I agree. Having wrestled with Windows 8 for a few weeks I went back to using my Vista laptop the other day and guess what? ..it was like a breath of fresh air to escape from the confines of the awfull Windows Hate, sorry, I mean Eight.

Worst of all I disovered that in W8 you can no longer boot into Safe Mode using the F8 key/menu but instead you have to boot up normally then adjust setting then reboot, or else use a W8 startup disk to access the command line then type in a command. Duh!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2013 20:19:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2013 20:26:16 GMT
Master1 says:
Sorry but I don't have a Masters Degree in Computer Science. I did a HND in Computer Science over 20 years ago. If you wish I'll expand on my review and add a non-technical section.
If you're still not sure about Windows 8, I would suggest you download VMware Player -it is free and install it on your machine. Then download the Windows 8 trial software and install it inside VMware Player. That way you can try Windows 8 on a virtual machine without changing your current machine.
PS. My I.T. qualifications include:- MCP, A+, MCTS, MCIP. ITIL.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2013 20:23:36 GMT
Master1 says:
I'm surprised that your still using Vista. I work for a large company and we did not upgrade our XP estate to Vista. Now we're almost finish upgrading our estate to Windows 7. You'll find Windows 7 much better than Vista.
Hint: If you Google around you'll find how to boot a Windows 8 machine into Safe Mode.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›