5.0 out of 5 stars The Premier Digital Illustration Software. Period. Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro 6: A Critical Review., 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Autodesk SketchBook Pro 6 (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Sketchbook Book Pro 2010 had come highly recommended to me.

Sketchbook Pro 2011 had just been released days later after getting this recommendation. I got it immediately and it was everything that was described to me.

Most of what I used Photoshop for, I now had a specialized drawing and illustration app that had more than 20 different drawing styles, multiple layers, moveable headers, rulers of all kinds.. all this for $75.

What this meant to me is that if I wanted to sketch... I'd have the tools to do it. If I wanted to paint or "spray paint" a caricature, I have the tools to do it. If I wanted to work on an engineering or an architectural draft-- with this software alone-- I'd have the tools to do it. And, I didn't have to waste time opening up several different softwares that were better at somethings than others.

Absolutely phenomenal.

About 6 months later, Sketchbook Book Pro came out with a free update which included the Copic Colors--an underground style of markers that was popular with manga artists. I had no idea what "Copic Colors" were and certainly didn't know how these young artists are using it, but after a quick Google search, this digital version of Copic Colors watercolor markers is a great thing to have.

Some other artist made the legitimate claim that SBP11 still didn't have a smudge tool. True.

Now that Sketchbook Pro "6" has a smudge tool, new and expanded layout headers in addition to literally more than 2 dozens drawing/ painting/ sketching styles, it becomes very difficult to not to go to SBP when you have some very important work to do.

*** ***

Talking about price for a moment. Sketchbook Pro has actually DROPPED in price. With the exception of the black Friday sales, SBP retails around $50 and several times since SBP6 was released in September I've seen it for as little as $29!

*** ***

SBP6 also coincides with the new SBP for iPad and the SBP for Android* 2.5 (at the moment, only available at the Google Play store) which also features saving as a tiff file, Coptic color and multiple layer options.

If you have SBP11 (aka "5)--I don't see a need to upgrade. If Autodesk hadn't included the Copic Colors, then I would have said it's worth the $20 to upgrade but there isn't enough except if you wanted to support the company.

If you have an earlier version, 2010 and before--NOW is time to upgrade-- with the addition of the smudge tool, I think you'll find either working with Photoshop or Corel Draw or Corel Paint easier to work with or less frequently.

If you're an artist and want a universal digital art app that is identical on your main computer as well as your tablet or smartphone or perhaps you're just getting into the digital art domain and don't want to spend the $499 for Photoshop--Sketchbook Pro is definitely the way to go.

[Add comment]