35 of 36 people found the following review helpful
LEGO 8547 Mindstorms NXT 2.0 - Belgian review,
= Durability: = Fun: = Educational:
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)Without any previous Mindstorms experience, I bought this set for my daughter of 8. My main reason for buying this from Amazon in the UK was the huge price difference compared to any on-line store in Belgium or The Netherlands.
I paid 206 Euro for the set, including shipping which is almost 100 Euro cheaper than stores in BE or NL (thank you British pound!). The only difference is the manual language but the software is in Dutch so no issues there (and you can download a Dutch manual from the Lego website).
I'm writing this review just after finishing the Shooter Bot (with Ultrasonic sensor attached). The Robogator is next on the todo list.
- great building fun: my daughter loves to build Lego stuff and building with Technics is not a hurdle (smaller pieces can be difficult but daddy loves to help)
- great reward: after a project has been build I'll assist her in the programming as larger programs tend to bore her quickly (I guess 8 is a bit too young for NXT-G). Nevertheless she wants to understand how everything works and after the robot comes to life she loves to play and test the robot.
- ease of use of NXT-G programming software. Sure you can go to an advanced level but for now everything works first time around
- Bluetooth (BT) included: this works way better than the USB cable as you can download software or control your robot where-ever you are (max. 8-10 m away). Be sure to have a PC/laptop with BT included or buy a BT dongle (+/- 10 Euro).
- long-term life of the product: I expect my daughter to play with this for another 5-6 years and the new books coming out for this set (on Amazon) promise even more fun and robots to build.
- large community: countless forums and websites devoted to Mindstorms and, as the 2.0 series is still fairly new, I'm sure they will increase their topics and projects on this set.
- no chargeable battery included. The 6 batteries installed have not run out yet (after a couple of hours of use) but this is not environmental friendly so I bought a battery pack (Lego 9798) from a Bricklink store in the US at a fair price ($45). I hope customs will not charge me too much extra for importing it but it will still be less than the 65 Euro I had to pay for it in Belgium.
- no sealeable bags included to store your remaining Mindstorms parts, the plastic bags rip easily so you are forced to look for alternatives (small containers you can find in any DIY store e.g. Makro)
So all in all very pleased with this product and building Lego robots with my daughter brings backs memories.