74 of 74 people found the following review helpful
morphy richards digital slow cooker,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Morphy Richards 48724 Digital Slow Cooker, 5 Litre - Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
Overall I have been very pleased with this slow cooker. The positives are as follows:
-Unlike a lot of the other slow cookers that I have seen reviewed it seems to cook things at a gentle pace, ensuring that food does not get burnt or dried out.
-The lid fits well and a good moisture seal seems to form around the edge of this ensuring that no steam escapes during cooking.
-It is a relatively narrow, deep slow cooker, meaning that it takes up a lot less space on the work surface than other slow cookers on the market
-The keep warm function is really useful to give you some flexibility in terms of when you want to eat.
-The outer unit does not get too hot, meaning there is reduced risk of children burning themselves. Additionally I have found the handles don't get unbearably hot
-There is a good range of recipes in the manual which include: vegetable soup, minestrone soup, lentil soup, chicken paprika, caribbean chicken, chicken in white wine sauce, chicken and mushroom casserole, New England beef, paprika beef, hungarian goulash, steak and kidney ragout, chilli con carne, beef curry, beef in red wine, stewed beef with potatoes, bolognese sauce, pork goulash, oriental honeyed pork, pork and pineapple curry, sausage pot, boiled ham, irish stew, vegetarian curry, rice pudding, chocolate cake, syrup sponge pudding, and creme brulee. All of the mains/soups are for 4 litres.
- The slow cooking tips in the manual are really helpful in terms of adjusting recipes for slow cooking and cooking half quantities etc
Negatives points or things to consider:
- due to the narrow, deep nature of the ceramic pot, you will find that you are unable to place all of the meat on the base of the pot to cook(ie it has to be piled on top of each other), meaning that cooking times may need to be adjusted.
- the ceramic pot is quite heavy, although I imagine that this would be the case with most slow cooker pots
- the times settings are limited to high between 3-8 hours and low 7-10 hours
- Be aware that the keep warm function is only active for 2 hours, meaning that if you are out for a long time it may not still be being kept warm upon your return.
- The vegetarian curry recipe that I tried from the manual needed to be adjusted (I had to remove a lot of the vegetables and add more liquid). So long as you follow the slow cooking tips from the manual rather than following recipes religiously it should turn out ok.
- Due to the narrowness of the pot you may find that you struggle to fit larger cuts of meat in ie pot roasts, whole chicken etc probably would not work in this slow cooker
- If you are new to slow cooking, as I am, be aware that the vast majority of slow cooker recipes require ingredients to be browned/ cooked prior to placing in the slow cooker. Having said this, it requires vastly less time than preparing something from scratch.