5.0 out of 5 stars Top Spec Camera from Canon, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Inc EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens Kit) (Electronics)
I've now had this camera for 10 months now. I do plenty of photography and spend a good deal of my time shooting wedding photographs, events and parties. This camera now has a soft spot for me.

Key features for me are the 18 MP APS-C CMOS sensor, 19 point AF-system, the much improved metering systems or iFCL, which takes into account focus, color and luminance across 64 zones. The brilliant (and I can't reiterate this enough) new custom controls interface; you can have countless customizations for control. A god-send if you ask me. How many times would you just like to use the custimisation you want in a jiffy.

On top of this it has weather sealing, believe me this is brilliant, I had a Nikon that failed on me during heavy rain session, I used this camera during a session at a wedding and it stood through the torrid rain and I just kept on shooting. Another brilliant addition is the integrated speedlite transmitter, this allows you to open up the system and no requirement for a master unit. This is brilliant for family photo's and studio photoshoots, I rigged this up to set off 4 slave lights in 2 groups, under certain condition to just give enough light to my shoots and no over exposure.

The build of the camera is great, it feels strong and very well built. You can work with this camera all day, I have no issue with weight and feel. It is a semi-pro camera with pro features. The camera has performed very well. I carry a 64GB CF pro card and all my photo's are generally shot in RAW and not once have I lost a shot. It is fast and very responsive. I was shooting in continous mode and the 7D never missed a beat.

Once of the strong points of the 7D is it's AutoFocus and this thing never missed a beat, I mainly use the Ultrasonic lenses and this baby rarely gave any unfocused images. Maybe out of a 1000 photos I may have 2-3 that were not focused correctly, but they could have well been my fault as well as tiredness creeps in and the un-focused shots were all during the end of my days.

Also, if you do plan to use this camera at high ISO levels, for example 16000 onwards the 7D is a star performer. I was getting decent results at 32000 so that is great news for any photographer.

Just a point on the movie mode, in the 7D you have full manual control for shutter speed and aperture. the best part is you can use your varied lenses to give a good short video. I created one as an experiment for a wedding and it was impressive although it's not always practical as you need to change lenses, but it works well however you want to look at it.

The images this camera produces are top notch and it's ability to work extremely well in low light conditions and give good images are it's strongest points.

My colleague who is a Nikon fan for 15 years has succumbed to the point to say he would be taking this camera out with him than his D300S, now that is a testament to how good this camera is.
I by no means am a Canon fan. I believe in using the right camera for the job. I personally switch between a D3X and Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III for special events, so I can say with hand on heart, that this camera in this class is the best there is. At the end of the day it is upto the consumer to try them out and then make a valued decision.

If you can afford it then this is the camera of choice in my personal opinion.

[Add comment]