5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story of the Thunderball case, 29 July 2008
This review is from: Battle for Bond: The Genesis of Cinema's Greatest Hero (Paperback)
This book has been in the development stage for many years; it used to be on the publisher's list that I used to work for. In a word this book is excellent. Robert Sellers has done a brilliant job and made full use of all the new materials at his disposal. There are so many James Bond books out there, many repeating the same old stuff and the same old pictures, it's overkill. But this one is different.

Sellers has brought all the elements of the Thunderball case and woven them together to create the definitive Thunderball scripts story. This book should find its way onto any 007 fan's book shelf.

Having read the original book, and followed the subsequent pulping because of passages that offended the Ian Fleming Trust, frankly I can't see what they're getting worried about. The creator of 007 wasn't blameless in this case and, although I don't think he acted with malice, he was certainly naive and misguided. Basically, if you buy the second edition you're not missing out because the book is far bigger and so informative that its dispute with the Fleming estate cannot diminish what is a really good book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Oct 2012 18:02:06 BDT
1st October 2012

Having had my attention drawn to this `review' for the first time today, I felt it necessary I should add some perspective to the comments and agenda therein.

With regards to Brian V. Burford's comments regarding the content of 007 MAGAZINE Issue #48 (December 2005): At no time in that publication did I offer any opinions or speculation about the genesis of the film 'Thunderball', nor were all the facts in that issue known to everyone as Mr. Burford suggests. The writers and authors in that issue, all far more qualified in the subject than Mr. Burford, including Robert Sellers, put forward all the facts that were known at that time; in fact, in Robert's article he explained how he was at that time delving into a hitherto unknown archive of material that was enabling him to write his excellent book, The Battle For Bond, that was to be published in 2006. That Mr. Burford made time to take a pop at me in this review comes as no surprise from various correspondences I have received from him in the dim distant past. Having a jab at me is one thing, but denigrating the veracity and value of my publication 007 MAGAZINE and the work therein of seven different writers (including myself) whose work in this publication made this issue the definitive magazine produced on the film `Thunderball' is just not on! The print run for this issue (cover price £9.99) was 5,000 copies, all of which are now long sold out.

Graham Rye
Editor/Designer/Photographer/Publisher
007 MAGAZINE

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Nov 2012 20:25:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2012 17:21:18 GMT
Hello Graham,

Perhaps I should have specified that I was referring to a Thunderball Special that you put together in the early 1990s marking the film's 25th anniversary. You'll have to forgive me but I don't have that magazine anymore, yet I don't recall Mr Sellers writing in that particular issue. I wasn't aware that there had been anymore since - I noticed you automatically assumed I was referring to a 2005 magazine. However, I stand by my review, a fine book.

I have removed the reference anyway, it should be gone by the time you read this - how's that? I'm not interested in getting into a `ruck' with you when I was praising someone else's work. Therefore, I consider the matter closed.

£9.99 for a magazine, you must be joking....

BB
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (13 customer reviews)

£19.99 £18.41