3.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Inconsistant, Dull but Fun at the same time! Read on!, 14 Dec. 2013
This review is from: V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphones - Matte Black (Electronics)
I have heard over 10 different sets of these headphones and about 3 of the 10 have a different signature!

The first set I own was warm, bassy with mids that sounded like they where coming through a tube! They didn't sound balanced and the treble was rolled off creating loss of detail! Now I've heard a few people have thus experience mostly when the headphones first came out..

Now lately the sound seems to be more balanced, they are warm with quite neutral mids and treble with still a slight roll of at the top but the mids are clean. The separation is ok and the soundstage is absolutely pathetic! Literally no depth! sorry gamers ;) everything is in-your-face and for me this is a big problem being a) A gamer and B) A soundstage nut! gaming really exposes the soundstages of headphones and this headphone just didn't preform. It was very crystal clear though but when there was a lot going on it felt too congested and the environments just didn't sound realistic. It sounded like two speakers where pushed in your ear drums and everything was on the same level.

Now it's not all bad, these headphones do sound very good, but not for the price. They fit right in there with other Midfi headphones but I felt them losing out to phones such as the DT770, AH-D600. What I think these do well is remain quite balanced even with a powerful low end! they do lack refinement and most importantly soundstage like I said but to be honest the target audience these where intended for will not always worry about that.

So why three stars?

Firstly I'm not happy with the quality control. Out of 7 headphones 6 have had issues regarding build quality. I've had some that had out of place hinges, broken headband and deep scratches! V-Moda said they will look into it and I believe them.. For now.

Val the ceo is passionate about his products and he has pretty much got your back for the headphones life and after. I'd buy the headphones just for that peace of mind only! it's that good.

I've got such a love and dislike relationship with these because they have a very weird trait to my ears..the ability to sound fun and boring at the same time. There is no excitement in the mids and treble. Vocals do not sound seductive and the treble lacks a bit of sparkly and excitement, well a lot really. The bass is the best part of these headphones! it's powerful but detailed.

Compared to my much loved Denon D600 the Denon has a much bigger and better soundstage with a more detailed treble and is exciting throughout! I did a review on amazon but to be honest I didn't hear my Denons for a while since I was putting all my attention to the M100 and as soon as I heard my D600 again they just sounded better in everyway possible minus a bit more forward mid range and it's ever so slight. The D600 has epic bass and for £70 cheaper it's a no brainer, That said if you do like the look of the M100 they still hold their own and are a decent, balanced warm phone with strong bass!

If Val comes out with a V-Moda headphone with better quality control, a wider and deeper soundstage with positional ques to match my current headphones and more excitement through the mid range and treble then sign me up boi! ;)

By the way these are very efficient!

Hope this helps!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2014 15:05:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2014 15:09:20 GMT
Dale Thorn says:
Better quality control than nearly perfect (which it is now)? Who are you kidding? Have you read the plethora of 5-star reviews? I don't know where you get your audio gear, but mine comes new, and especially in the case of v-moda, flawless.

EDIT: You've gotten 7 different sets (that's obsessive I'd say), and you claim you love them (?), then you say on the headphone forum that they have "no soundstage".

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 16:04:18 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2014 16:14:19 GMT
R. Rahman says:
You are quite a strange little man constantly lurking on these Review sites trying to defend your purchase

I can still love a headphone if it lacks a trait I need. I find these perfect for just listening on the go but if I want to be immersed in pure audio bliss the these are not the phone for me.

You always try to criticize peoples reviews but you make stupid claims like

the Shure 940 stacks up to the HD800.
The DT770 is dark.
The M100 is the king of headphones..seriously just no(yes that's your opinion but you seems to disregard other people's)

You then say the M100 has a stage and I'm wrong but you know absolutely nothing about Dolby headphone and how to test a headphones stage.

You think you know everything but you don't. People on the forums laugh at you! Still to this day after your bans you are made fun of for your "silly reviews" and weird idiotic obsessive personallity.

You hang out on UK forums because you are banned on all the US ones too !

I don't condone people slagging another one off but due to you being a bit of a Muppet I find it all justified.

Man up and accept that other people have an opinion and deal with it you sad strange little man.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 16:13:48 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2014 16:17:54 GMT
Dale Thorn says:
Funny how you say strange when you don't know who you're talking to. I review headphones and amps, and I read other people's reviews. That's funny to you? Also note that Edd's review at NobleHiFi and Headfonia with Julius were very critical of the M100, yet they noted it had a wider soundstage than any comparable headphone. So how does one turn a very wide soundstage into no soundstage? Edd and Julius are very experienced and credible reviewers. I don't claim to be as good or as smart as them, but I do read them as well as others. When you say "banned on all U.S. forums" you again don't have a clue. Banned from where and exactly why? Do you know? You go ahead and say and I'll set you straight.

Edit: What is a troll? A troll is someone who attacks the person instead of the facts (i.e. the message). That's you.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 16:27:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2014 16:30:45 GMT
R. Rahman says:
Stop parroting other people's experiences and go by your own! You seems to do this a lot! If you have no experience with Dolby and soundstaging then keep quite and let someone with experience chirm in.

I can bet I've got more gaming and surround sound/ positional gaming/audio experience then most on the forum and I'm certainly more knowledgeable on the subject then yourself.

So you are in no position to challenge me in that regard! I don't claim to know it all I just share my experience but that certain aspect of audio is my forte.

Edd is ok in his reviews I don't think he's great neither do I think Tyll is great. I think Edd is more of an enthusiast like myself then a professional but that's just my take on it.

If Edd wants to debate on Tue gaming/soundstage aspect of the M100 I certainly have the equipment and experience to have a case. I most definitely disagree with the his mention of soundstage but at the same time I agree with some of holis other comments about the M100. my ears are trained towards sound stage and positional accuracy of sound!

So in short stop commenting on things you don't have experience with..you did it on another forum with the D2000 and I had to facepalm.

As for your bans it's a well known fact you where banned off headfi and have a reputation as an argumentitive man that expects Everyone to agree with him!

Just for the record..if you attack someone they will attack back..there's only one argumentitive little petty troll of a man here Dale abd yup it's you. Now go back under the bridge and troll someone who can't challenge you back and has less of an understanding on this particular subject.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 16:55:11 GMT
Dale Thorn says:
False charges like you have just made (headfi particularly) damage your credibility, bud - not mine. You have nothing but "it's well known" which is something cooked up by my opposition. What opposition? First, I don't do gaming or surround sound etc. I do headphones and amps, period. Second, I review what I buy, period. If on rare occasion someone sends me an item that I want to review, then I buy the item separately and review it. My opposition at headfi are very focused on sales and their revenue, so they have motives to dislike an independent like me.

Now why don't you take your lies and BS and take a hike. You don't know anything at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 17:09:13 GMT
R. Rahman says:
If you don't game or do surround sound then shhhh because you don't have the experience or knowledge right now to comment on this subject(Soundstage). Dale you seem to forget or not know I am part of the same forums that you where called out for being all the things I mentioned!

Nothing is worse then a keyboard warrior wannabe tough guy that thinks he is the expert. You have this reputation for being argumentitive I can bring up right now peoples comments on your behavior but will do so on your request since.

Now if not, and you don't know how to test for soundstage then please close the door on your way out :) but sadly you will try get the last word in to get one up on me but in reality it's going to be the same crap you always say.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 17:16:10 GMT
Dale Thorn says:
I've been around audio for awhile and belonged to the Audio Engineering Society, so if you think you know more than me go ahead and be confident in your ignorance. Soundstage isn't a mystery. The reviewer you're posting on here says M100 = no soundstage, so that's what you have to deal with.

And BTW mr. troll, you're still attacking the person and not the facts. That makes you the "little man". Go deal with that too.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2014 17:20:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2014 17:21:18 GMT
R. Rahman says:
Whatever dale :/ You are very amateurish in your comments and knowledge on this subject.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2014 09:32:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 26 Mar 2014 09:35:22 GMT
Dale Thorn says:
Yes, exactly. I don't sell stuff like headfi - I just buy stuff and review what I buy. I get adverse comments from an occasional troll like you, but I contrast that with very positive comments from hundreds of happy users who like my reviews for their honesty.

Edit: As far as knowledge on "this subject" goes, I know 1000 times more about audio than you ever will. That doesn't come from lying one's a** off on an Amazon review - it comes from real work (as opposed to "gaming").

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Mar 2014 00:26:54 GMT
R. Rahman says:
That's the American dream right there ;) all you know is how to be a prat.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›