4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, excellent sounding, well functional Internet radio .... With adverts, 27 Sep 2012
This review is from: Pure Sensia 200D Connect Portable Wireless Music and Radio System with Colour Touchscreen and USB Record - Black (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love my technology. I have been taking radios apart since before I could write so I was very excited at the thought of this Pure Sensia 200d Internet radio.

I have never owned an internet radio so I got this as a clock radio as I sleep poorly and thought this would be an excellent companion through sleepless nights. My wife has hijacked it for the kitchen and I agree that it is too beautiful to be confined to the bedroom table.

First of all, the good points. This was very very easy to set up. Plug it in, enter the Wifi password and you are away. It looks beautiful. I was a bit worried about the touch screen. Having owned a series of creative products with terrible and insensitive touch screens and an iPad to compare to, I had mixed expectations. The screen is big and bright and surprisingly sensitive and accurate. It needs no calibration and I have generally been delighted.

I did not buy this to subscribe to the Pure music service. I don't like having subscriptions to pay and I like to own my music as a hard copy so I cannot comment on the Pure Connect subscription service. The access to Internet radio stations is as easy as filling in a search box. You can search for Genre, Title, Country or any other searchable criterion for the radio station, I wanted some Italian music so I found a selection of different styles of Italian to chose from. When I find a station that I like, I save it as a favourite and I can immediately access my favourites list by pressing the dedicated Favourites button on the remote. I also love my Podcasts and again, you can search, store and favourite as many podcasts as you like. The sound is faultless and although it does not fill the room with sound, it gives a clarity which is far beyond what you would expect from such a small unit.

There is an App for Apple products. This allows easy steaming from my iPod and iPad and, all the favourites you save on the Sensia immediately appear on the App on your iOS device. That's great for when you are on the move.

My wifi signal in the kitchen is moderate at best but I have never dropped sound on my Sensia.

The remote is small and stylish and does everything. There is a rechargeable battery that can be bought as an optional extra. It is very expensive and I feel, for the price they are charging, this could be included but you can't have it all.

There are a couple of negatives which I must mention. Firstly, this is advertised as being able to display Twitter and Facebook but I can not find any evidence that there is any way of accessing these services. This is not a problem for me and I am sure I am being stupid but I find devices like this very easy usually but I just can't work this out. I have tried googling without success. The instructions are a bit brief too.

The radio claims to operate as a digital picture frame but, again, I just can't work out how to do it. I have looked and looked through all the possible menus.

The most irritating thing about this radio is the incessant adverts for Pure products. When there is no picture to display, it will display an advert for some Pure radio. I have only just got a new Pure product. I am not in a rush to buy another. Pure are advertising to the wrong group and if anything, this is a turn off from buying any more Pure products. I can't find any way of switching this off.

The only other minor irritation is that, the radio comes on straight to the previously selected station when entering the favourites. Often very loud.

That said, I am delighted with this radio. Beautiful, great sound, easy to use and does everything I wanted it to. I am sure I will work out how to load photos and access Facebook one day but the would just be a bonus.

Just to be controversial, I am going to say this. I cannot work out what functionality this unit gives you that an iPhone and dock don't. My iPhone has the tunein radio app installed which accesses digitalradio, listen again and Internet radio. The podcast app is excellent for podcasts so I can't really see what this offers over an iPhone or iPod touch and a dock which I have all over the house.

It's not cheap but it is lovely and I am so pleased I have it so, if this sounds like what you are after, go for it. You won't be disappointed!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Sep 2012 20:49:03 BDT
UK Man says:
To find the photo stream and Facebook etc you just need to swipe the picture left or right until you get to the photo or apps window (which may display the weather by default, can't remember what it shows first) and then swipe up or down to scroll through Twitter, Facebook, and Weather app windows. When you display the weather app full screen it shows a 5 day forecast.

Posted on 3 Oct 2012 03:06:04 BDT
I have bought one of these but am having a major problem with the device not recognising any of my USB sticks for recording, have you tried this yet and if so what type of USB Stick do you use. Tried contacting Pure but they said just format it first but this dosent work either. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Oct 2012 20:16:26 BDT
UK Man says:
No problem with mine. Just bought a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB Flash Drive (which is ideal), copied the Music folder from iTunes on my computer and plugged it in. Seems to recognise the files as long as they are MP3 or AAC. Files stored as Apple Lossless were not recognised. If you do format the stick I expect you will need to use the FAT format which will not be the default if you are using a Mac.

Posted on 23 Dec 2012 09:34:57 GMT
Dopey says:
Has anyone had issues with USB recording?
Despite setting a scheduled recording to last 35 minutes, it only actually records 5 minutes.
Am i missing something?
I've also noticed scheduled recording don't appear to work when on battery alone, is this normal?

Posted on 6 Jun 2013 17:00:15 BDT
Polux says:
Hi, i search the firmware pure sensia 200D Connect version 1.6 zip file (only the 1.7 are available on pure.com) the 1.7 has a random bug, very short audio break (internet radio)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›