5.0 out of 5 stars Works just as well as a normal washing machine, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Good Ideas Portable Mini Twin Tub Washing Machine 3.5kg Cap with Spin Dryer 2kg Cap (889) Ideal for small loads, flats, caravans
I was holding off on writing a review for this washing machine until I'd owned it for at least a month or so and put it through its paces. We rent a house where the integrated washer dryer broke, landlord isn't responsible for replacing it, and we couldn't buy a normal machine because it won't fit in the kitchen. So we resorted to visiting the launderette frequently, which was expensive and tiresome. Then I found this little gem on Amazon. Read the reviews, and although it seemed to good to be true and I had my doubts, I felt like we had nothing to lose by giving it a go.

Ordered the machine which arrived fairly quickly (within a few days). Unboxed it and checked all the components and the machine itself, as some other reviewers had said their machines had looked like they had been used before / were old or second-hand. It appeared as if the machine had been tested prior to dispatch to us, as there was a few drops of water inside and in the pipe, but other than this it was clearly a brand spanking new machine with no visible defects or potential problems....and we even got some free washing machine balls with it as well. Relief!

The other reviews about the water hose pipe being really cheap and not well made are completely true - the pipe is thin plastic which looks like it would break or develop a hole very easily. Fortunately the pipe that came with our machine was intact and we are still using it with no problems (though it does have a tendency to slip off the tap if you aren't careful, so we have to hold the pipe while its attached to the tap just to be on the safe side).

The machine is easy to fill (and you don't have to use the pipe, you could just as easily use a bucket instead). You can fit a reasonable amount of washing in depending on what it is you're washing. For underwear / small clothes, you can fit quite a bit in, but for bigger / heavier things like jeans or jumpers that get particularly heavy when wet, you're best reducing the load and just washing one or two items at a time. So far I've managed to fit a king size duvet cover in it (on its own, with nothing else) which washed fine...to spin that was a little more challenging as it *just* about fit.

The wash tub agitates the washing extremely well; in fact I've not found any difference between the quality of this wash and that of a normal size machine. The maximum wash time is 15 minutes, and you can adjust the timer to however many minutes below that depending on what you want. When the wash stops you switch the dial to 'drain' and the machine empties pretty quickly, though gravity would no doubt help even more with this if you could place the machine on a higher surface to the sink or bath.

The spin function on this little twin tub came as a massive surprise. It is way more powerful than I could have expected. As with your wash load, be careful to ensure you only put small amounts in the spinner so as not to overload it. Be sure to follow the instructions in the manual for the spin function, as it does seem that if you underfill the spin tub with water or there isn't hardly anything in there then it doesn't seem to work properly and won't hit the high speed spin. But overall its quite amazing actually. I'm sure this spinner was actually better than my old washing machine, as clothes seem a lot drier when you take them out.

We've been using this machine for about two months now, and we use it about twice a week (but each time we use it we will do maybe 4 or 5 washloads one after the other). It has held up fantastically well, bearing in mind we are using it as a replacement for a normal washing machine. I was worried we would push it too much, but so far so good. It is a little labour intensive to use, but despite that I really can't fault it. Its the perfect middle-ground product to bridge the gap for holidays or at home if you don't have access to a normal machine or don't want to use a launderette.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]