5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly fun and frantic game!, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Borderlands 2 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Borderlands 2 is a frantic FPS/RPG, sending players on a series of missions where they are able to collect loot and face insane enemies. It's fast and furious, and hilarious at the same time, with a fantastic art style and interesting weapons and abilities to choose from.

Gameplay

Borderland gives players a choice of characters to select from, allowing them to customise their character as the game progresses. You'll be offered a range of abilities from your characters skill tree and also a number of customisation options for how they look.

As you progress through the story, exploring the insane and interesting world of Pandora, you'll be given a number of side quests. These are often absolutely absurd, but they really help to keep things interesting, adding humour with every turn in the game.

The games combat mechanics work amazingly well, blending FPS and RPG. As you open fire on your enemies you'll see the amount of damage you inflict appear above their heads, something that will greatly increase as you gain better loot. The shooting works well, drawing players into some frantic fun firefights.

Looting is addictive in Borderlands 2. Seeking out new and exciting weapons has never been so much fun. All of the weapons have different abilities and work in their own unique ways. Finding a new weapon and discovering how it works and how it fits into your load-out really helps to mix things up. You'll end up with a number of different guns, all of them complementing each other.

I played this game co-op, and I can't imagine playing it any other way. Not only do you end up collecting and equipping weapons that match your own load-out, but you end up working as a team, mixing and matching different fighting and play styles. Also, playing co-op ensures that the mayhem is truly maximised, unleashing some epic fights on the team.

Graphics

I remember playing the first Borderlands, and immediately the graphics struck me as being odd. It took me about half an hour before I had adjusted to the style and the same thing happened to me once again upon loading the second game.

The art style is very cartoony, but it works incredibly well. The setting and the absurd characters really blend nicely with the graphics, creating something even more unique. Instead of getting a Fallout style game, the graphics really help to emphasise the satirical nature of this game.

What I liked

For me one of my favourite parts of this game is the dialogue, your enemies exchanging banter of the radio throughout the game. As we explored Pandora, we were often mocked, taunted and downright insulted by the things coming from our enemies mouths, but that just made it even more entertaining when we finally tracked them down.
It's witty, and really keeps things interesting, rather than just sending a player back to turn to talk with all the NPC's and then leaving them in cold silence as they explore the wasteland.

What I disliked

For me my dislike is pretty petty, but I'd have liked to have built my own character from the ground up. It's not major as the pre-built characters are all pretty interesting, but with some of the character models I've seen I'd have loved to have been able to completely construct my own.

Conclusion

If you played the first Borderlands then you already know what to expect. If you haven't, then don't worry, you can still jump into this game and you're not really going to find yourself lost.
For fans of RPG's or FPS' I'd recommend giving this game a go. It's thoughtfully put together, offering some amazing moments in combat, with fantastic dialogue to match.
Overall, I can't really fault this game, it's been an absolute joy to play and I can see myself sinking many more hours into it. Definitely worth picking a copy up.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]