5.0 out of 5 stars The best batch yet, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Bill - Volume 7 [DVD] (DVD)
First the negative. The discs appear, in most cases to have been copied from videotapes, complete with drop out lines here and there. Remember the white horizontal lines that would pop up on VHS tapes? I don't expect anything less than a direct transfer from the master tape. Annoyingly, the last episode on the discs, the dullest Bill episode ever is crystal clear quality. Fancy that.

The episodes themselves are mainly good with several outstanding. The best two in my humble opinion are back to back and cover CID constables Jim and Tosh sailing close to the wind with their careers. Though why the producers put two such similar episodes back to back is a mystery.

In 'A Clean Division' Carver walks back to his broken down car which he's left by the roadside after conducting an observation in a pub. A non regular cast PC then nicks him for being over the limit despite it being pointed out that the car can't be driven and is only fit for towing. Burnside steams in to save him but finds his powers of persuasion don't work at a different nick. The arresting PC is referred to by a colleague as a 'seagull' e.g. he flies in, craps on people then flies off. His style is to laugh at Jim when he's at his lowest ebb.

'Roger and Out' shows good guy Tosh harassed by sniffy little prat Tom Penny who wastes no time in reporting him to their superiors for a foolish breach of rules. This is Penny's nadir and he was already an unpleasant character. Again it's Burnside to the rescue as he squares up to Brownlow in his office to save his friend.

Penny's decline is further demonstrated in this batch when he accepts a cigar from a shopkeeper before telling a PC not to put a ticket on the shopkeepers car. Stamp exposes Penny with a joke written on the toilet mirror causing Penny to go on the warpath and make a prat of himself as usual. He even ignores help from a real sergeant, 'Uncle' Bob Cryer.

The series also sees the further self destruction of PC 'Taff' Edwards who finally slithers off without bothering to attend his own leaving do. Reg does the honours with the stripper instead.

Right, when's the next lot coming out? Preferably in a much larger batch please.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Oct 2013 17:22:13 BDT
TheBillABCTV says:
I thought Network used the Masters, I will ask them. All the episodes were in good quality for my copies.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 17:33:00 BDT
Mr Neville says:
Thanks. There are a few episodes that I wish I'd listed where I felt I was watching an old tape I'd recorded at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2013 21:06:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Oct 2013 23:35:06 BDT
TheBillABCTV says:
Do you have all the DVD releases of The Bill? I do [Magna, Shock and Network] Thames recorded The Bill using VHS tapes. Network have the master tapes from ITV and I'm sure they would use them to put straight onto DVD. Network's releases no scene cuts and very good picture quality compared to Shock. I live in Australia and have a multi region DVD player which is also a Blu Ray player that is why I can play Region2 and every region on my DVD player.

On Magna's Collection 3 box set 5 episodes had the sound coming out of one speaker and when Network released those episodes on Volume 6 those 5 episodes had the sound coming out of both speakers.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 09:41:34 BDT
Mr Neville says:
I do yes though this is the only set of discs where I've noticed a VHS appearance. I'm not outraged, just disappointed. There's one episode late in the set where the drop out is really obvious as well as small black lines around objects.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Oct 2013 15:07:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2013 15:28:54 BDT
TheBillABCTV says:
Reply from Network "The Bill was shot on a video format, though not VHS. The episodes are direct transfers from the original digibeta masters and any drop outs are as sourced from the highest quality masters available to us from our licensor.

Kind regards,
Network"

This is because I contacted them about your review. They were kind enough to reply.

My copy was fine, I didn't have the same problem as you.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 11:52:36 GMT
Mr Neville says:
I seem to have caused offence? Perhaps I had a hallucination? The drop out is there for anyone to see, I doubt my DVD is unique. Next time I watch it I will record the precise moments and put them on here.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 13:35:20 GMT
TheBillABCTV says:
OK. My copy doesn't what episode in Volume 7? So then I can check? My suggestion is to contact Network and Amazon UK. As I said my copies have been fine and I have played all 48 episodes several times.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 13:42:26 GMT
TheBillABCTV says:
On the end credits of some episodes was in black and white but that wasn't just Network with those episode, same thing with Shock and Magna. I'm contacting Network via Facebook private message, I would suggest you do the same. As far as drop outs I'm not having that problem.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 13:55:04 GMT
TheBillABCTV says:
It could be your copy was from a poor batch? If I was you watch those episodes again then, list the episodes and contact Network. My copies are fine. and I have more than one copy for The Bill Volume 7.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 16:20:20 GMT
TheBillABCTV says:
Hey buddy, I know others who have The Bill Volume 7 DVD set and they have said no problem with theirs either. So this is what I think it must be, you copy was from a bad batch. As I said you are best to contact Amazon UK and Network regarding this.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (9 customer reviews)

49.99 27.12