ARRAY(0xa6b55864)

4.0 out of 5 stars A great journey of discovery, 17 Sep 2010
This review is from: Black Death [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is my first ever review so be patient.

The film is set in the early times of the bubonic plague, where a young monk called Osmond is torn between his faith and the love of a beautiful village girl.

After sending the girl of away from the plague that is sweeping through the country, the girl tells Osmond that she will wait for him for 7 days in the forest, after that she will be gone. Osmond, struggling to make a decision whether to stay in the church or to run off with his lover, asks god for guidance.

Enters Bean (Ulric). A ferrocious, no nonsense knigtht with his band of mercenaries that knowone would dare mess with. They bring news of a village that has renounced their faith and turned against god, also the village is believed to be free from the plague. Osmond volunteers to lead the crew with intention of meeting the love of his life along the way. Unknown to Osmond that the real reason to go to the haven like village is to hunt down a neckromancer (someone who can bring the dead to life), they set off for their journey of discovery.

I won't go through the hole story as I don't want to ruin it for you. Whether or not the exact details are truth or fiction, I really wouldn't let it bother you. The story is played out very believable. Who needs loads of graphics and a massive budget when the story itself is just too good to turn your back on.

Apart from a 2 minute get to know you scene about 20 minutes into the film, their is a real lack of background to the caracters although with brilliant acting and a good script they still manage to come to life under immense pressures and strains the journey brings.

I might be being petty but the only reason I haven't given this 5 stars is the last 30 second of the film. The wrong woman is taken after seeing two women, where one looks excactly like the woman who is being searched for but isn't taken. I don't want to say anyting more but it really has confused me. Maybe I just switched my brain off for 30 seconds I don't know. It's a very annoying part to really good film.

Anyway I hope this review is useful, I also hope I made sense and my english is up to scratch.

P.S. could someone please try to explain the last 30 seconds (why wrong girl etc)
P.P.S it would be nice if I could get a review for my review, would like to know if it was useful/readable or made sense

Thankyou

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Sep 2010 21:06:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Sep 2010 21:07:08 BDT
aha, about your negative point about the film, I can explain it to you, though there might be spoilers for other readers so beware:

Bassically when you see the woman that looks exactly like the witch, its showing you how osmund is seeing things. To him, this woman is the witch without a doubt. Its bassically trying to show you how deluded he became and how obsessed he was with finding her. When she changes appearance its letting us know the reality of things, and the fact he never caught the witch.

Posted on 25 Sep 2010 18:00:51 BDT
good review, might get it as an xmas pressie for the folks then steal it back into my mega collection

Posted on 30 Sep 2010 10:22:45 BDT
B. R. Taylor says:
Yes, I found this useful, but I needed to not read the last bit,a s I don't want to know how the film ends , thank you! Can you use spell check, or a dictionary? I like the idea of a neck-romancer - I think I met one or two in my time, but the word is necromancer, which is rather different!

Posted on 8 Oct 2010 15:32:01 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Oct 2010 21:37:05 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2010 23:06:15 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Oct 2010 19:01:22 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Oct 2010 18:54:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Oct 2010 18:56:11 BDT
A. P. Owens says:
Nice review for a first timer! I'd agree with the comments above, 'spellchecker' would make your review so much better.

I will definitely be buying this DVD based on your review.

Thankyou (one word as I find the space quite superfluous!)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2010 10:59:06 BDT
Abu Hamza says:
Why do you have colons followed by capital letters?

Posted on 22 Oct 2010 23:45:33 BDT
People are funny! They are more concerned about your spelling and punctuation then the film. I think I will get my partner this for Christmas after reading your review. Thanks for taking the time and effort to write it. x

Posted on 23 Oct 2010 22:47:04 BDT
vera says:
Keep up the reviews please, I really enjoy them. Thank you.

Posted on 29 Oct 2010 05:23:32 BDT
ccfcpaul says:
Thankyou for all the feedback, I appreciate it. After a very busy month I'll be doing a few more reviews. I will make sure I use spell-checker too. My smelling (purposely wrong) isn't usually that bad but if I remember rightly, good old scrumpy jacks had killed a few braincells that night.
Anyway these are my next possible reviews:
The Expendables
The Experiment
Hot Tub Time Machine
Kick-Ass
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (128 customer reviews)

15.99 3.00