4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not quite great, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 2545LMT 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Free Lifetime Traffic Alerts (Electronics)
I bought this as an upgrade for my Garmin 200W which I loved. I live in the North of Scotland and use my Sat Nav mainly for holidays. I wanted something with junction view and lane guidance because when you don't drive regularly on motorways some junctions can be quite daunting. Also I wanted the unlimited map updates because a real downsides in buying a Sat Nav is paying to keep the maps current. I've just returned from a trip to Glasgow so I've had a chance to try the various features so here's the review.
Firstly this unit DOES NOT have bluetooth or voice control. It does have a 5 inch screen, unlimited map updates, unlimited traffic, photoreal junction views, lane guidance, spoken street names and speed camera locations.
I had no problems updating the maps using the Garmin Lifetime Updater. The maps downloaded and installed reasonably quickly and with no problems. However the maps are still slightly out of date. The new Glasgow M74 motorway extension is still not included. This is where unlimited map updates are great, because I was keen to have this stretch of road included on the unit and I'd have been annoyed if I'd have to pay for this update at some point.
I have encountered problems updating the unit software using the Garmin Dashboard. Although I followed the instructions and I think the software updated, whenever I connect the unit the unit it flags the software as not being the most up to date version, but when I try updating again the same message still appears. I've had a look on the Garmin forums and I think this may be an issue with some series of units. The unit seems to operate regardless so it's not really an issue.
The 5 inch screen is clear, although in sunny conditions I did have to crank up the brightness. I did find the photoreal junctions useful, but slightly difficult to make out sometimes even with the larger screen as it appears as a split view with the map. I would have liked the option to choose whether photoreal real junctions appears as full screen, rather than having split screen as a default. The unit also re-routes very quickly, and I had no problems with the routes selected. The Points of Interest such as nearby Petrol Stations and Parking work really well and are a huge improvement on my previous unit. The spoken street names also work surprisingly well although it would be too much to expect it to get every name spot on.
I discovered the traffic information is only going to work when I am near the motorway network, and will not work locally. I seemed to work fine in Glasgow telling me about busy conditions on the motorway I was on. I did not have the opportunity to see if it would divert me round standstill traffic.
I was not sure if the unit had traffic cameras included when I bought it as this is not mentioned on the Amazon or Garmin websites. I tried to download a trial version of Cyclops speed cameras from the Garmin website but it would not install. I believe this is because the trial version was already installed. A one-off update costs £4.99, and a years updates for the cameras cost £14.99 from the Garmin website. I'll probably do a one-time update once a year.
I had one problem with the unit when I was trying it. I could not get it to switch on one morning, and had to do a reset by holding the power button down for 10 sconds or so. This was a minor irritation and may have been because the day before I had been messing about with the settings when my wife was in the supermarket!
All in all this is a good unit and a big improvement on my older Garmin. I would have given it 5 stars if I had not had the issue updating the unit software. There are a couple of minor niggles (only split screen photoreal junctions, and one freeze), but reading all the reviews for Tom Tom and Garmin units there is no such thing as a perfect Sat Nav. If you are looking for a Sat Nav you could do much worse, and the unlimited maps are a great inclusion.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Apr 2012 14:53:05 BDT
Howard R says:
A helpful and informative review: many thanks. There does seem to be more interest in the Garmin Nuvi 2595LMT but really, I don't need Bluetooth and certainly not voice recognition -- there's also the fact that the more a device accommodates, the more things there are to go wrong. My TomTomONE is pushing four years old nowand though it's been OK, it's often been. . . Infuriating. TomTom, as a company, nowadays looks like it's on a downward spiral and the latest TomToms aren't worth buying what with PC incompatability and TomTom's greedy charging for map updates. Goodbye TomTom, hello Garmin -- thank you again for the review.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Apr 2012 16:14:14 BDT
Davey says:
Thank you for your kind words. I should perhaps mention that from reading other reviews for similar units some people have experienced serious problems updating maps using Windows Vista. I use Windows 7 and experienced no issues. Hope this helps and you enjoy using your new Sat Nav!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 May 2012 18:08:46 BDT
B. Gilbert says:
I also agree with you and the reviewer. It certainly sounds like the Sat Nav I need to have and I'm put off by the Tomtom brand especially when I have to update the wife's unit which takes ages.

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 20:38:02 BDT
I have just ordered this GPS and I REALLY hope that it DOES have bluetooth AND voice control - these are two of the main functions I bought this for!!! According to the Garmin website it DOES have them - I am interested in why you say yours does not have them?? I will be doing a lot of driving as part of my new job and will need to take/make call whilst driving/in the car so these features are ESSENTIAL to me.

Please let me know. . .

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 21:46:07 BDT
Davey says:
Definitely does not have them. I found two models with the same name on the Garmin website when I was doing my research and one was equipped with these features and one not. I don't know if one is a UK model and the other for elsewhere, If you really need them return the 2545 and get a 2595. The 2595 definitely has these features and has maps for the whole of Europe rather than western Europe which is supplied on the 2545. The 2595 was much more expensive when I bought mine but I notice they are now the same price. Hope this helps. Davey.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 21:46:50 BDT
Howard R says:
Well on that basis, I sincerely hope you haven't ordered the Nuvi 2545 LMT which Davey so helpfully reviewed, and which appears here because it is the Nuvi 2545 LMT Amazon product page.

Davey's description was and remains entirely accurate: the 2545 LMT lacks both Bluetooth and Voice Activated Navigation. If the 2545 LMT included Bluetooth and Voice Activated Navigation, there wouldn't be much point in Garmin producing the Nuvi 2595 LMT, because it is the inclusion of those two features which accounts for the £20 price premium on the £210 (RRP) 2595 LMT over the £190 (RRP) 2545 LMT.

The Garmin UK website is quite specific about the features of the respective units. In the section relating to the Nuvi 2545LMT -- which Davey reviewed -- a menu tab labelled 'SPECS' opens a detailed list comprised of separate sections. In the section "Features & Benefits / Drive Stress Free. Save time and money" the word "No" appears against "Voice Activated Navigation", whilst in the follow-on sub-section "Navigate safely and easily", the word "No" also appears against "Bluetooth wireless technology".

By contrast, using the same tab and going through the identical features / options list for the Nuvi 2595LMT, the word "yes" appears against both the entries for Voice Activated Navigation and Bluetooth wireless technology.

In view of the requirements you state you have for your satnav, purchasing the non-Bluetooth / non-Voice Activated Navigation 2545LMT would seem to be a waste of your time and money.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:00:01 BDT
Howard R says:
@ Davey: A belated note of thanks to you for steering us in the direction of Garmin and -- thankfully! -- away from the increasingly hopeless / hapless Tom Tom.

I originally said we weren't interested in the 'full monte' 2595 but then the price dropped and Garmin's Summer Cashback offer came along and so, uh, we bought the 2595 LMT.

And it's been. . . W O N D E R F U L . Oh ye Gods, everything works straight out of the box; start-up is darn near instant (compared to the lonnnnng lags with our TomTom); mapping is clear and up to date; the photo-real junctions, as and when we've encountered them, have proved a genuine aid, not a mere gimmick; route correction after a diversion is instant; and the unit's astonishing range of facilities -- including the fully-fledged Trip Computer, a mini work of art in itself -- is hugely impressive.

We have now travelled throughout the UK with our Garmin 2595 LMT and it has far exceeded our expectations -- and no, we haven't used the Bluetooth facility yet, but have been very pleased with the Voice Activated Navigation.

Purchasing this really has shown to us former TomTom loyal customers that TomTom simply isn't in the same league anymore when it comes to value, reliability, speed of response and comprehensiveness of features.

Yes, all electronics are fallible, and maybe one day we'll hit a stumbling block with the Nuvi 2595 LMT, but seeing as how this remarkable unit has already accuimulatd such goodwill during its relatively brief time in our ownership, we'll be happy to live with anything that crops up.

PS: one facet of the Garmin's performance which has surprised us is its power consumption -- on a long trip home of over 200 miles recently, we forgot to plug the unit into the power socket and yet it ran without a hitch on its battery. It was only near the end of the journey, when my wife decided to check for traffic alerts, that the unit reminded us it wasn't plugged in. Our fault entirely, but wow, what a performer this Garmin truly is!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:07:59 BDT
@ Davy and Howard - Thanks for the QUICK heads-up guys - I totally thought I HAD ordered the 2595. Mix-up with the shopping basket - I somehow ended up with both in my basket and deleted the wrong one. D-oh!

Have requested a cancellation and will re-order the right one. Strange that they are exactly the same price when they are different models with different functionality. I definately want and need the extra functionality of BT and VAN.

Cheers.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:11:04 BDT
Davey says:
The downsides of being an early adopter. The price has now dropped and I missed out on the summer cashback offer. However also still delighted with the satnav. Already have bluetooth in the car and I'm sure the unit would not understand my Scottish accent so still happy!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jul 2012 22:15:07 BDT
Thanks again guys - cancellation was successful and I have now ordered the right model - checked and double-checked this time. Glad you warned me in time - saved a whole heap of time and trouble :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›