1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Meat Fix: How A Lifetime of Healthy Eating Nearly Killed Me (Paperback)
Oh dear, how poor is this book. At best it's anecdotel.I've been a meat eater all my life but have recently questioned this since the horsemeat scandal. Feel free to research what else goes on where meat production is concerned. I have many vegan and vegetarian friends who have been so for longer than Nicholson and they seem perfectly healthy. I read this book because I wanted to research both sides. Unfortunately this book is worse than useless in that respect. If one day in the future I were to hear that this guy was paid by the meat industry to trump up this flimsy story I wouldn't be at all surprised. It really is that clumsely written. One or two of the reviewers are more than a little ill informed also. First of all we are not carnivores, we are omnivores. This basically means we can choose from a variety of food. So both a conventional western diet and a vegetarian diet fit in loosely with that defination (very little about or food is natural these days) where are all the pizza trees and custard lakes for example. Vegetarian isn't a biological term, it's a term used to descibe a moral or cultural point of view. Therefore only humans can be vegetarian.Herbivores simply eat a diet that is suitable for vegetarians. One reviewer stated we are born to eat meat and maybe a few berries. If we lived like that we would be very ill, even more so than Mr.Nicholson was (?) There is plenty of biological and historical evidence to suggest we shouldn't naturally eat a lot of meat or even any (again research this) Why for instance do we need to cook it / because it would make us very ill if we didn't. What did we eat before we discovered fire ? Many things lead to opposite conclusions than this book reaches. Meat is responsible for 18% of all greenhouse gas emissions ( more than all forms of transport put together) Secondly it takes 2400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of meat yet it only takes 25 gallons to produce 1 pound of wheat. In a world of over 7 billion ,1 billion go to sleep hungry and thirsty. How can we justify producing food in such a damaging and inefficient way.If there is any truth in Nicholson's story, it is probably that he had an unbalanced vegan diet full of stodge and that is why he got ill. Just as the guy in supersize me got ill on an inbalanced meat diet. Wake up people. World record beating athletes have competed on vegetarian and even vegan diets ; Ed Moses, Carl Lewis & Martina Navratilova to mention a few. So Clearly a balanced diet can be healthy whether vegan or containing animal products. The other question should be is it healthy for the planet and is it fair to future generations ?!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Feb 2013 01:41:34 GMT
Stuart says:
Hominids have been eating meat since before the invention of fire. Fire merely made it tastier, safer and acted as a preservative. As such, populations eating cooked meat will have been more successful than those eating raw meat. By the time Homo sapiens rolled round, hominids had been eating cooked meat for hundreds of thousands of years. Why do you think we have issues with raw meat? The ability has essentially evolved out of us - it became redundant 600-700,000 years ago. Despite this, we can still handle raw meat (in the digestive sense) as evidenced by the myriad of dishes and cultural traditions involving the consumption of raw meat or raw meat product around the world. It's bacteria we can't handle - raw meat containing levels of salmonella, ecoli etc that are potentially hazardous to our bodies.

If you want to talk about about foods that we (historically) didn't eat, then how can you miss grains? The process for refining them is less than 10,000 years old. Prior to that, we didn't eat them as they aren't digestible in raw form. Refined sugars are a similar story. Despite this, most of the modern diet is comprised of refined wheat, rice, maize and sugar. It's pointless even arguing the 'we aren't meant to eat meat' case while that's sat on the table.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jul 2013 17:20:27 BDT
Millikins says:
All I'm going to add to this debate is that since giving up meat and dairy and eating a healthy diet full of fruit, veg, salad, pulses etc I have felt fantastic. That's all the proof I needed. If people give up meat and dairy and eat junk, they will feel like junk.

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 21:06:22 BDT
Ann C says:
I was interested to read your review. It's nice to see a meat-eater defending vegetarianism/veganism (although I wish you'd give up the meat!), and it's nice to see that you don't automatically (as some would) jump to defend someone who supports the eating of animals. I've been vegan for 22 years and would never go back to eating animal products. Thanks for your sensible and honest comments.

Posted on 15 Aug 2013 21:06:59 BDT