2.0 out of 5 stars Fifth Doctor & The Dad's Army Sontarans, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Heroes of Sontar (Doctor Who) (Audio CD)
Positive.
Peter Davison & Sarah Sutton lift this from being a 1 star review.
The Sontarans debut story at Big Finish.

Negative.
The Sontarans debut story is boardline farcical, What was writer Alan Barnes thinking?
The jokey humour becomes annoying draining any Drama out of the story.

Audio Info 2 CD 4 part Running time 120 minutes, Behind scenes interviews, Music, Trailer.

Review.
This is difficult for me as being a hardcore Doctor Who fanboy most my life to review a Doctor Who product negatively hurts my soul, Oh well here goes.

Heroes Of Sontar is The Sontarans debut at Big Finish & you'd think that all the stops would be pulled out to give the galactic potatoheads some great drama & battle scenes.

Nope!!!

Instead we get a Dad's Army version's of Sontarans whom are awful, So bumbling & incapable it's a wonder they survived in space this long.

The plot, Arh yes the plot, Seven Sontarans are sent to a barren desolate world were they have sealed instructions from The Field Marshall for there next mission.

The problem with this The Sontarans are not the most greatest warriors in the fleet & here lies part of the problem as the Sonarans are meant to be a race of fierce warrior's from the Sontaran Empire not the bungling buffoons that are on display here.

The Doctor, Nyssa, Tegan & Turlough also land on the barren plant were Nyssa becomes infected & the Doctor, Tegan, Turlough race against time to find a cure for there friend & the secrets of the planet is finally revealed.

Whoever decided to make the Sontarans imbeciles in there Big Finish debut has got the completely wrong idea as they are made to look incompetent fools, Even the Sontaran leader is mimicking Captain Mannering it's so silly & farcical.

The pace & narrative does pick up on episodes 3 & 4 but it's to little to late by then.

I would've preferred a more serious tone for the Sontarans debut story making them more edgy & the fierce warrior's of Sontar not these Dad's Army stereotypes.

Alan Barnes is usually a competent writer but completely drops the ball on this adventure, The Fifth Doctor deserves a much better story than this nonsense.

A poor outing from the usually exellent Big Finish, I'll put this down as a bad day at the office for Alan Barnes.

Although The Lost Stories adventure The First Sontarans is brilliant comeback for the galactic potatoheads but as I say thats another review for another time.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 Oct 2013 11:30:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2013 14:40:29 BDT
Tim Bradley says:
Hello Timelord
I enjoyed reading your review. Sorry this audio story didn't meet with your approval.
Personally I rather enjoyed this story with the Doctor, Nyssa, Tegan and Turlough and liked the idea of these Dad's Army Sontarans since I'm a fan of Dad's Army myself. Admittedly it is rather far-fetched and goes too deep into Dad's Army teritory but I rather enjoyed it and was so engrossed in the story. It's a brave experiment for Big Finish and whether it's likely they'll do something like this again I really don't know.
I do appreciate your comments and glad you're honest about the Dad Army's Sontarans. I enjoyed them, but I know it won't be to everyone's tastes.
The regulars are on top form though, especially Nyssa who is a highlight for me in these stories.
Hope to review this story sometime soon in the near future.
Tim

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 13:18:54 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Oct 2013 18:57:33 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 16:32:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Oct 2013 16:33:28 BDT
Timelord007 says:
It's what i call a marmite story you'll love it or hate it, I thought for the first Sontaran story it borderlins being farcical, I do prefer my Doctor Who with a Robert Holmes flavor to it & being as he created this monsters i thought the story didn't do his memory justice.
Tim's review & mine is a different contrast of opinion on Doctor Who he sees something of praise which i dont & i see little merit & he does to the story which is exellent as you've got 2 fans with different viewpoints which i love.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2013 23:05:12 BDT
Keen Reader says:
Hi LL
I'd have to say I disagree with timelord007 on this story - I have reviewed this audio story, and you will see from my review that (while not putting anything in that may offer a spoiler) I think I have made it clear that the story, in my view, definitely redeems itself - the reasons behind the Sontarans characterisation does become clear. And that, to my thinking makes the story itself neatly self-fulfilling. I hope you enjoy the story, I certainly did!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2013 02:28:24 GMT
Timelord007 says:
OMG, Oh matrion you disagree I'm sobbing inside of sadness were did it all go wrong. Lol.
Only kidding, I'm ok you didn't agree with my review i just thought this adventure sent up the series a bit to much especially the Sontaran leader channelling Dad's Army's Captain Mannering all that was missing was the "Stupid Boy" quote.

For the first adventure I'd have gone for a more gritty adventure & based it on there continued war with the Rutans.

Have you read my First Sontarans review i thought this was a far better adventure as is Starlight Robbery.

Thank you for the feedback it's always appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Oct 2013 03:51:48 GMT
Keen Reader says:
Cheeky!
Nah, I do see what you mean about sending up the series. But I just felt overall that the rationale behind the behaviour of the Sontarans really did work in the overall narrative, and the final unveiling of the reasoning behind it all did add up to what was overall a good story - in particular, I liked the use of Turlough, Tegan and Nyssa in this story. They really added to the atmosphere which brought the story round to a more serious overall atmosphere, so I still felt it turned out to be a winner.

I do like the scenario of the continuing war with the Rutans, but I think this story showed the society of the Sontarans quite well, and their broader environment, rather than just a straight 'shoot-em-up' battle story.

I'll check out your other review - thanks!

Posted on 29 Oct 2013 10:15:21 GMT
Timelord007 says:
Little worried as LL deleted all comments from my reviews?, I do hope your ok my friend.
You know how get hold me if you ain't.

Posted on 9 Nov 2013 17:23:56 GMT
Couldn't agree more - perhaps Alan Barnes was writing them for the kids' audience like how Strax has become - comic relief and a million miles from what we've seen before. Very disheartening
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (7 customer reviews)

14.99 13.31