4.0 out of 5 stars A book of two halves that lingers in the mind, 25 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
I'm not really into crime novels/mysteries, which this book generally seems to be billed as, so despite having heard a lot of hype, I wouldn't have bothered reading it were it not for one thing - a list of quotations from the book I found on Goodreads.

There were a couple of quotes , for example one about the dangers of being a cool girl and one about meeting someone who gets you, that really resonated with me and left me unable to resist giving the book a go. Added to this, several reviews mentioned that there was a big twist that they genuinely hadn't seen coming, and I can never resist a good, well-handled twist.

The first thing I'd say is that I'm glad I took a chance on the book. It was difficult to put down; I was constantly wondering what was going to happen next, and I think parts of it will stick in my mind for a long time. So in short, I'd definitely recommend.

It's hopefully not too spoiler-ish to say that the first half of the book is basically mediations on a relationship combined with a mystery: a woman has disappeared - where has she gone? The second half then becomes much more like a psychological crime thriller.

In the first half, there are two voices. Chapters alternate between Nick's (the husband) narration, starting with the day of his wife's disappearance, and Amy's (the wife) diary entries, dating back from the day the two first met years before, and gradually working up to a few days before her mysterious disappearance.

Browsing through some of the reviews on here, I was struck by how many people have commented that they found the first half hard going and a bit irritating, but loved the second half.

Interestingly, I almost entirely disagree. Perhaps it's because I'm in a similar socio-economic group to the protagonists and have recently got engaged, but I found the story of the wonderful blossoming of their relationship and its horrible slow decline utterly fascinating. Yes, there was undoubtedly a touch of "first world problems," about it, but falling in and out of love is a fundamental human issue and no more or less exciting and painful just because you happen to be a trust-funded New Yorker. I thought the writing in this part was exceptional. The quotations I'd identified weren't isolated bursts of brilliance, but representative of the whole thing. It genuinely gave me a new perspective on my relationship.

I'm a big fan of unconventional narratives and I thought that the past diary entries versus present narration worked really well. The two storylines didn't quite mesh, showing what a different perspective two people can have on the same event and keeping me guessing about what was really going on in the main characters' relationship and what had happened on the day of Amy's disappearance.

This went on for chapter after chapter (Whilst I burnt through the book, I definitely think it could have been quite a bit shorter without really losing anything), and then came the much vaunted twist. All I can say was that I wasn't disappointed. I hadn't seen it coming and it was incredibly well done. Unfortunately, although I thought that post mid-way twist, the book went rapidly downhill and became, in parts, frankly silly. I actually hated the ended.

Nonetheless, I'd give this book four stars, for the overall brilliant execution and for the fact that to me, parts of the first half were some of the best things I've read in years. My suggestion - search for some of the quotes. If you enjoy them, I think you'll love the book. If they irritate or don't affect you at all, it's probably not for you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2013 18:56:10 GMT
Steven says:
this is one of the best reviews I've read on amazon. Thank you. :)

Posted on 9 Apr 2013 12:19:03 BDT
Lexi says:
I agree - well written, totally gripping read, could have been shorter - but the more I thought about the ending the less happy I was with it, and the worse the prospects seemed for characters I was concerned about. It's not a book I'd ever want to reread.

Posted on 13 May 2013 11:03:46 BDT
R Pearcey says:

Posted on 20 May 2013 16:42:46 BDT
Carroty Nell says:
I agree with every point this reviewer made. This was a thriller you race through, eager to learn what is going to happen. The writing is superb. The prose sings - some of the phrases resonate with the reader long after laying the book aside. The characters are intricately drawn and believable. The twist is brilliantly handled and quite unforeseen. But the ending is weak and unsatisfactory. That one fault demotes it from five to four stars in my estimation.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Jun 2013 22:40:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 Jun 2013 22:41:17 BDT
Liz says:
I agree with everything you say, loved the book till the ending which I found disappointing .

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 21:10:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Jun 2013 21:11:09 BDT]

Posted on 19 Jun 2013 21:10:11 BDT
Agree with most of this.I found the ending silly and rather unbelievable. The first part of the book was thought provoking.

Posted on 30 Jun 2013 15:13:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Jun 2013 15:15:02 BDT
SIE says:

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 12:02:32 BDT
Helen says:
I really enjoyed this book until the end which was truely unacceptable. No way, even with a child on the way would he have stayed with her. I lost respect for him and was annoyed with the author for the unbelievable way we were left. I wanted her in a secure unit, handing over her child and Nick raising it in a happy, healthy environment.

Posted on 11 Aug 2013 07:41:38 BDT
GrahamF49 says:
An excellent review and it sums up most of my feelings about Gone Girl. It held my attention for most of the way but towards the end it seemed like the author got herself into an impossible tangle with the plot. But overall it was a good read and skillfully put together, so I'm happy with a 4 and would probably read another of her books.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (7,147 customer reviews)
 (2,972)