3.0 out of 5 stars Nice To Have Most of Madonna's Work In One Place But..., 27 Mar. 2012
This review is from: The Complete Studio Albums [1983-2008] (Audio CD)
So after years of listening to Madonna and sharing my collection with my brother, my collection was in need of a replacement due to scratched discs etc, I'd been meaning to replace some albums for years but I've been waiting for the albums from Like A Prayer onwards to undergo the remastering treatment that its 3 predecessors went through in 2001. The first three albums really benefitted from being remasters and the extra remix tracks were a nice bonus (not really sure why they didn't include Into the Groove on Like A Virgin though), overall they sound great and more vibrant.
Unfortunately Like A Prayer is in desperate need of of a Remaster because it is very quiet, I know how to turn up the volume but in todays generation of creating playlists on iTunes, the songs from Like A Prayer really suffer from sounding too quiet, therefore lacking energy. I'd say the same could apply for Erotica and Bedtimes Stories, they are quieter than preferred. Anyway, I was pretty excited when I discovered this box set was being released, but when I read that the discs being included are the same discs that most of us already own I was very disappointed and at first, I was refusing to purchase this... but the more I thought about it the more I wanted all of Madonna's studio albums in a cute box, that fits nicely into the glove box of my car, and in 100% working order! That is basically what you get here, being able to take this collection wherever I go in my car allows me to listen to all of her studio albums, without loads of jewel cases being scattered all over the place, but obviously MDNA is taking priority in the CD player at the moment.
What would have been nice though, would be to include a bonus disc featuring most of Madonna's biggest hits, that were not included on studio albums, such as:
Into the Groove, Crazy for You, Gambler, Who's That Girl, Causing a Commotion, I'll Remember etc, this would have made the collection more complete, maybe the inclusion of I'm Breathless too.
If the albums had all been remastered, and the collection featured bonus discs featuring other singles and maybe some b-sides then I'm sure this would have been a vital purchase for the hardcore fans, but unfortunately Warner has decided they could not be bothered to do this, and basically attempt to cash in on the back of the release of Madonna's new MDNA album, attracting new fans.
I think a day will come when a desired box set as described above will be released, and I look forward to it, but in the meantime, this box set has mainly only come in handy to replace to damaged older discs in my collection and fit in my glove box.

P.S. I just thought I'd mention that Madonna puts great efforts into the making of her albums therefore they are all mostly solid albums, so don't be put off by a previous reviewers depressing slump on her back catalogue.
My favourites include Madonna, True Blue, Like A Prayer, Erotica, Confessions etc. I love them all because they are all so unique in their own way, I'll admit that Hard Candy was a bit disappointing but I can feel a reunion coming soon with this album so that opinion may change.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 9 Apr 2012 11:45:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Apr 2012 11:46:03 BDT
rickshayne says:
When people complain about lack of remastering what they really want is for the music to be completely rechannelled so that every frequency is raised and gives you a headache like much of today's music. And thankfully we don't live in a world where what dictates music is by how it would sound in a silly mp3 playlist! Would you complain if you put Barbra after Rihanna? Those albums sound that way because they were made that way. "Remastering" them to what you people are hinting at is not called remastering. You can use the itunes settings to raise the volume yourself for every track you feel doesn't go with the others. Simple as that.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Apr 2012 13:19:07 BDT
Erm, quick to presume much? As a sound engineer I am very much aware of bad remastering jobs and the whole loud war thing. I was thinking of the amazing remastering jobs of albums by Depeche Mode and The Cure, they sound so much better than their older releases and they aren't really that much louder, and there is definitely more detail in the sound. So I'm not talking about pushing the master fader up until all the audio is capping like most bad masters released over the past few years, I'm talking about giving the tracks more life. Most albums from the 80s were mastered for vinyl and therefore the audio sounded flat on CD.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Apr 2012 22:41:18 BDT
Livingproof says:
I managed to find a "remastered and expanded edition" of Like A Prayer online and whoever did it, it is amazing!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›