2.0 out of 5 stars DVD Warning, 11 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Lost in Austen [DVD] (2008) (DVD)
I watched the ITV production and loved this Kooky tale combining the "Life on Mars" format with to the "Pride and Prejudice" story, I loved the idea and have watched my Sky Plus copies over and over again.

But, I've just bought the DVD and found that a crucial scene is missing. In the 2nd episode, the part where Amanda Price sings "Down Town" in the drawing room at Netherfield Park and where it first shows Mr Darcy's attraction to Amanda, has been totally cut out. The DVD edition shows Amanda, Mr Darcy, Mr Bingley and Caroline Bingley sitting around the table having dinner and Caroline Bingley challenging Amanda to entertain them, and then cutting straight to the them applauding Amanda, but not actually showing what she has just done. I was incredibly disappointed as this is a crucial scene in this whole adaption, plus, the comments made thereafter don't make sense!

Yippee, we were listened to by the ITV later copies of the DVD do have the complete scenes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 21-30 of 32 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2009 10:16:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Apr 2009 10:17:30 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2009 11:01:46 BDT
Well I received my order this week and found the 'Downtown' scene MISSING! I had already purchased a copy of the DVD from a shop here in Australia finding it was missing the important scene, but when I read all these posts saying that Amazon had the FULL DVD I thought I would order a copy from here (actually 3 copies - 1 for me, the others for friends). When I checked each DVD today you can imagine how annoyed I was finding that NONE of them have the scene included. Am VERY cross about having to return them and get them WITH the scene. Maybe Amazon thinks they can palm off their left over rubbish on the Australians - "BADLY DONE, AMAZAON, BADLY DONE!"

In reply to an earlier post on 14 May 2009 06:09:37 BDT
Fani says:
I bought the DVD from Amazon a month ago, and the scene with DownTown DOES exist in the DVD. I have not watched the series on TV to know if anything else is missing, but I just watched that scene last night so I'm pretty sure. But when I put a DVD in my basket I get a message than only non-UK customers (that's me) will be sent the dvd directly from Amazon. Those in UK will be served by another store, Amazon's Jersey Merchant. So, that's probably the reason some people shopping from Amazon get the full DVD and others (UK residents) don't.

Posted on 13 Jun 2009 18:47:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2009 10:19:07 BDT
T. Jones says:
i bought this a few weeks ago from a shop in the Uk and noticed the scene that seems to be missing on some was there no edit at all the downtown part was included. why it is absent from yours i don't know but it was on mine even through mine was bought in the UK and with no problems.

Posted on 5 Jul 2009 00:37:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Jul 2009 00:51:04 BDT
The UK dvd release has been fully 'reinstated'. No need for 2 stars then - except for the thousands of non-UK customers. An ITV marketing ploy??????

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2009 00:47:16 BDT
I believe that it is Still a copyright issue, although resolved for the UK, it probably isn't for Australia. This is NOT the fault of Amazon however, it is the fault of ITV, the company that made and released the programme. It is printed on the back about the deleted scene, if it isn't mentioned, the scene is in. Return them. Try dvd.co.uk or Play.com for a UK version.

Posted on 28 Jul 2009 19:05:25 BDT
SueR says:
The one I bought has the vital scene missing too, but I have checked it on Youtube, I love the DVD very cleverly done, have watched it four times already, I'm hooked, marvellous acting, very funny and highly entertaining. Thank you ITV!

Posted on 27 Aug 2009 13:10:32 BDT
Troy says:
Can anyone tell me what the run time is for the unedited version that includes the Downtown scene?
Is it 178 minutes as stated in the item specifics on this Amazon.co.uk detail page or longer?

Posted on 8 Nov 2009 19:03:31 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Nov 2009 19:05:05 GMT
I live in Norway, and received my copy from Amazon on April 20, 2009. The scene in question is MISSING!
I don't bother that much, though, I have seen it before and I am able to enjoy the dvd without Downtown.

Posted on 14 Feb 2010 22:31:15 GMT
G. Halligan says:
I have just purchased the Lost in Austin DVD from Amazon (watched it on the 14th Feb 2010) and the "Down Town" scene is on.

Review Details