3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I thought it would be, 21 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Am-Tech A3 Cutting Mat (DIY & Tools)
I bought this item to replace my old cutting mat that had become warped and no longer laid flat (mainly because I'd put something hot on it and it was really old).

I used my old one as a writing/cutting mat to protect my desk from scratches, so it was important that the new one would sit flat enough to do the same (plus cutting anything on a warped mat is a real pain). So when it arrived I was disappointed to find that it was all bent out of shape due to the poor packing that was used to ship it in. Fortunately after using a hot hairdryer and some really heavy books I was able to get it to lie flat, however the plastic used for this cutting mat is really soft and as a result there are several large indentations that wont flatten out (the worst one is from the cardboard packaging that was folded under the mat and has created a sizable bump across the right hand side of the mat).

To be honest if you're looking for a cutting mat that is durable and will withstand a lot of use I wouldn't recommend this one as there is no way it will last (soft plastic and a sharp craft knife don't mix).

I would recommend spending a little more money and get a 'West Design Cutting Mat' as it's made from much tougher plastic and it'll last for years (provided you don't put a really hot cup of tea on it, like I did).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Nov 2011 22:54:01 GMT
Thanks for the recommendation. For the really tough jobs, I know some people use a couple of heavy duty carpet tiles rubber side up. any good?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Nov 2012 23:37:16 GMT
Last edited by the author on 9 Nov 2012 23:38:11 GMT
J. G. Futers says:
Having used old industrial carpet tiles for this job in the past I wouldn't recommend it! The blade digs deep into the backing weave and becomes quite erratic to control!
If you're working with materials that require heavy cutting; you could try mounting the cutting mat on top of said tiles!

Posted on 9 Sep 2013 12:17:34 BDT
I couldn't disagree more with this review, I have found the A3 300MM X 450MM NON SLIP CUT CUTTING MAT BOARD to be absolutely brilliant, I have had mine for several years and it has held up extremely well.

It is used daily and consistently provides me with an excellent cutting surface, just the right amount of firmness and support to give me an excellent cutting mat, and this mat hasn't just been kept flat, it has found itself being used for many purposes, especially with a house full of kids, it has been through the works and still remains looking and working great, and alway retains it's shape.

Posted on 21 Aug 2014 13:30:02 BDT
Good, interesting review. I bought one of these mats for cutting leather on my workbench and am so far quite pleased with it (and it lays flat) but I think your requirements are a little different to mine. Useful information/insights for the future.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2015 19:42:11 GMT
CC72 says:
I agree, mine was bent when it arrived but it is fine, however it scores really easily when used to cut fleece with a rotary cutter and fluff gets stuck in the ruts. Never had one before so I have nothing to compare it with but I found this review helpful
‹ Previous 1 Next ›