1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me?!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Preventing Autism: What You Can Do to Protect Your Children Before and After Birth (Paperback)
As a young man with Aspergers Syndrome (a form of autism for those who don't know), I find this book extremely offensive! I live with my father and brother currently whom also have Aspergers and it seems extremely likely to be hereditary. Not only me but also any professional I have ever asked about it have told me that there is substantial evidence to say that this is very likely to be the case (although hasn't been made official).

Autism is a way of thinking and acting, even the likes of Albert Einstein is believed to have had Aspergers (try and tell anyone that's a bad thing).
Although it is very true that we can struggle on certain aspects of life (most notably socially) people with Aspergers generally tend to be extremely intelligent, creative, do very well in life and can be far more motivated than a 'normal' person! Autism has a very wide spectrum and even people with Autism or Aspergers vary in personalities as much as any other person.
Also the fact that it is becoming more 'common' is almost completely down to the fact that a lot more effort has gone into understanding and discovering whether people do have Autism/Aspergers.
The amount of help that exists for those that have trouble socially has also increased.

Sure, things may be difficult to get used to for a while but if you know these difficulties from birth then your child will have a great life and you yourself will have a greater understanding for those around you. I have only known about my Aspergers for 6 years and already can strongly identify the positives and negatives.

If you are reading this review and are worried about your child having Autism, I would love for you to do research on all of the celebrities, inventors and past historic icons that have or did have Autism. I assure you, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Personally, I have a large IQ, a long-term girlfriend and am on my way to becoming a software developer. I believe that I am doing well in life and have also seen others with both Autism and Aspergers do very well.
My father is a senior computer engineer, in charge of part of an engineering team maintaining the software that controls half the traffic lights in England and my brother (only 17) is aspiring to become a mechanic.

This book is nothing but an attempt to make money off of scaring parents.

Autism is by no means a disease or illness and therefore has no reason to need preventing and honestly, if you think it does then you really do need to do more research.
Of all the things in this world that we would love to prevent, It is a huge shame that some complete and utter waste of space felt the need to write a book about preventing Autism. I am very disappointed to say the least.

Please don't let this book worry you, Autistic people do think and act differently but often in both good and bad ways!

If you have any questions and would like reliable answers then please browse the internet for any forums containing people with Autism or family of Autistic people, or even friends or family with Autism or Autistic children. Doing so will undeniably be the best way to learn about first hand experiences from people who aren't trying to earn your money.

Also I would like to add that although I have read through this review many times I am extremely tired and it is entirely possible I have made a few mistakes, regardless I will post this now and edit in the morning if need be. Thank you very much for taking your time to read this.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]