3.0 out of 5 stars Good, just not great, 14 Jan 2012
I've been a convert to compression since February 2011 when I purchased my first pair of tights and have purchased a few different compression brands since; addidas, dakine, nike, under armour, and now Sub sports, so I hope that I offer an informed opinion.

I needed an additional pair of cold tights for winter running whilst my Under Armour cold gear tights were in the wash so I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a pair of Sub Sports purely due to the price.

So what's the verdict? Generally good but not without faults.

Firstly the bad:-
The sizing seems slightly off. I'm 5'10 with a 34 waist and about 31" in the leg but the legs are really long (the model wearing the prototype must have been a giraffe?.) I purchased a medium size and as such I have to fold the extra material in the legs under at the bottom. Its not the end of the world but it does irritate me when I put them on. The ankles around the seams were incredibly tight too when I first put them on. I struggled to get my feet through them initially but are ok now. Finally, the elasticity in the waist band isn't great compared with my other tights and this does make them feel inferior in quality. Only time will tell if the elastic holds true.

The compression element of the tights doesn't blow me away. It's by no means bad but just not as good as others. Skins and Under Armour versions definitely have the upperhand here, but then again they are more expensive so I have taken this into account.

There are positives though.
I've been out for about 10+ runs in them now in all conditions. In windy conditions these tights have kept my legs warm and I've felt no wind chill at all, definitely a plus for me. They wick moisture away from the skin effectively too without leaving you feeling cold too. I'm also glad to report that I've not had any issues with 'pinching' seams as others have reported. All in all they are very comfortable to wear and you forget that you're wearing them after a while which is also a good sign. I think these would be ideally suited as a base layer under salopettes for skiing or boarding.

Would I buy another pair though........If the compression was slightly better and the sizing issues were sorted out then they'd get full marks and I'd probably buy again. As it stands right now, I think I'd spend a little bit extra and opt for a pair of Skins or Under Armour.

I love a good bargain and really wanted these to be brilliant so that I justify buying another pair at this price but they're not. They are good just not great!
I think 3* is about right.

[Add comment]