1.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles :-(, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Galapagos with David Attenborough [DVD] (DVD)
Was rellay looking forward to the release of what seems to be a true great series, but was amazed to find out that it doesn't have any subtitles. So inconsiderate of the production Company to release this with no subtitles. A bummer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Dec 2013 12:15:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2013 16:30:18 GMT
Biggis says:
With respect, and whilst I agree that all DVD releases should include subtitles for the hard of hearing, surely posting a 1-star review of this product - thus bringing down its overall rating and potentially misleading other customers - does little to further your 'cause'.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 16:22:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2013 07:50:48 GMT
W. Buchmann says:
@Biggis
I beg to differ!
Not only should subtitles be mandatory in general,
but even more so to give the deaf and hard of hearing an option, to catch at least something of a film.
No subtitles, hence a negativ review, it's as simple as this. I wouldn't have given merely 1 star, though.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 17:20:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2013 17:00:46 GMT
Biggis says:
To W.Buchmann: With respect, please don't tell me that it's "as simple as this" because the very fact that I have a differing opinion means that it's not! And the fact that, to date, only 1 out of 8 people found this review helpful means that perhaps I am not the only one.

I do not contest - in any way, shape or form - that subtitles for the hard of hearing should be mandatory on ALL dvds. However, I stand by my view that posting a 1-star review purely due to the absence of such subtitles is not only somewhat pointless, but also brings down the overall star-rating for the product and is potentially misleading for other customers.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 05:40:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Dec 2013 05:43:42 GMT

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2013 09:34:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Dec 2013 17:03:31 GMT
Biggis says:
To L. Harpaz: Firstly, I never said that a review should ONLY be of the content rather than the product (any more than it should ONLY be of the product rather than the content), and I am not contesting that preventing a proportion of viewers from hearing the narration is a significant - and unforgivable - flaw in ANY dvd release.

Secondly, I don't need to turn off subtitles/use ear plugs etc, as I can well imagine what it would be like to be unable to hear the narration of a series for which I had paid good money. I would likely feel as aggrieved as you clearly do, and would almost certainly complain to Sky, Amazon and perhaps also my MP.

However, and whilst I accept that it's entirely appropriate to bring a lack of subtitles to the attention of other customers, I can't help feeling that a 1-star review for this reason alone simply doesn't do justice to what is otherwise - presumably, as I haven't seen it yet - a wonderful series. I also can't help feeling that such a 1-star review could potentially be misleading for other customers, as I suspect that many do not look beyond the star-rating of any given product.

As somebody with a disability/long-term health condition myself, I can assure you that I empathise greatly with anybody who finds that they are excluded from a product or service as a result of this. I can also assure you that I do not wish to cause any bad feeling, and for this reason I suggest that we simply agree to disagree on the specifics of the review.

Best wishes

Posted on 25 Jan 2014 19:24:51 GMT
Milkshake says:
It's got 3D innit - you can't have subtitles with 3D with all that great stuff jumping out of the screen at you - it would all get in the way you numpty

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2014 19:32:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jan 2014 19:33:32 GMT
Milkshake says:
"Not only should subtitles be mandatory in general"

Yeah it should be made compulsory by law and the offenders given 15 years hard labour in gaol .. surprised you've got time to write reviews when you should be writing to your MP about this outrage ... surely it is an infringement of our human rights, innit

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2014 16:58:00 GMT
Savita says:
Actually Milkshake, most 3D Blu-Rays do have subtitles and for the most part they work fine (Paranorman with them all over the place was an annoying exception). My partner needs subtitles so we usually have them on and I may not buy this because it doesn't have subtitles so I am grateful for the mention of this lack of subtitles.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (53 customer reviews)

£19.99 £9.29