4.0 out of 5 stars a trips down imagination road review, 13 May 2014
This review is from: The Ambassador's Mission: Book 1 of the Traitor Spy (Traitor Spy Trilogy) (Kindle Edition)
I had seriously forgotten how easy it was to read Canavan's books, this one has taken me less than 24 hours to read, though when I picked it up and didn't pay attention properly then I though Dannyl was Dany from A Song of Ice and Fire, shows that I have read them too much recently. But anyway.

This book picks up 20 years after the Black Magician Trilogy [...] and picks up with some of the main characters: Sonea, Rothen, Cery, Gol and Regin. Though it also introduces the next generation through Lorkin (Sonea and Akkarin's son) and Anyi (Cery's daughter).

The relationship between Sonea and Regin doesn't appear to have progressed since the closure of The High Lord. However through the course of the book I find myself wanting something to happen between them even though Regin has a wife and there is nothing but bad blood between them, but still is that so bad? Regin seems to be nice now, and seems to be helping Sonea for no reason than he wants to. Well and he wants all factions of the Magician's Guild to be treated the same, though that is far from the Regin that we used to see punishing Sonea for being a dwell.

Then there is Cery's storyline, Cery is one of the last remaining theives from the previous trilogy it would appear, the rest having been killed off. I will admit that I did have my supsisions about Skellin from the start, I didn't like him and honestly fealt that he might be behind the Theif Hunter. Turns out I was sort of right. I was also right about the fact that someone else was performing the magic when the caught the fake-rouge, I did think she was caught too easily after all. Turns out that was right too.

I took an instant liking to Anyi, she seems smart and resourceful and didn't want to sit around doing nothing, from what Cery's told us about her mother it seems safe to say that she's taking after Cery more. It was mentioned that Cery was 'grooming' his replacement thief, and I think that that may be Anyi, there was a female thief before so I believe it's possible, plus she's already named after an animal (I looked in the glossary) which seems to be a major criteria for a thief!

I wasn't so sure about Lorkin to start with though, he seemed very pre occupied with women at the start. Though he also seems to vastly respect Tyvara, so much so that I'm there just wanting them to do something! Even when he found out that she wasn't his slave he still didn't try anything. Though maybe now that he is in the Sanctuary things may change.

Something that I did notice when I was reading this book is that the one sex scene in it is described in quite alot more detail than they have been previously. As in previously it has been hinted at but never described whereas when Lorkin is being 'assasinated' by Riva it is quite vividly described, only for Tyvara to break it up! Though if Lover's Death is used then I suppose it has to be described! There is also a lot of Arousal from Lorkin's point of view, mostly over Tyvara.

Dannyl and Tyend's relationship seems to be breaking down to me, Tyend seems to be becoming quite fickle and I don't like it and think that Dannyl deserves better, it could be interesting to see how his relationship with the Sachakan Ashaki goes...

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]